Five (not so long) Hours!

stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
07/09/2019 8:13 pm

D.C.:

I've followed you since your days with TrueFire and I have to say that especially for lead guitar lessons...........you really rock!! No fluff, just accurate description and demonstation along with explanation just hits a real...........excuse the pun...........chord with me!! I could probably cut and paste my cooments but hopefully you appreciate the fact that we all appreciate all your effort and hard work to get these lessons across to us!! I joke in the title about five hours which is pretty accurate on what it takes me to really get these more intermediate/advanced lessons down....but the alternative ............me on my own...........would be considerably much longer and frustrating!! You and Tom absolutely nail your lessons and as I wrote........you don't belabor too many sections but rather respect the fact that we're no slouches on guitar to tackle these types of lessons in the first place so you rely on this correctly and we benefit by getting more information during limited practice times!! Now........and I'm repeating myself again from past comments on your work........if I could just get everything automatically retained and locked in........first time, every time!!! I do realize it's best to hope to come away with a few cool new concepts every time and not expect immediate retention of what may have been months of work for you to produce in lesson form in the first place!!! Fantastic job here once again, buddy!! Now take the rest of the day off!! :>) Jim C.

# 1
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/10/2019 3:19 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your raving review of my "Five Long Years" Freddie King song lesson! Much appreciated! Freddie is one of the true original electric bluesmen and one of my personal favorites. Spending time learning and playing this song you'll see how much Freddie influenced Clapton's blues playing.

It's a lot of work and practice to memorize the solo, but well worth the effort. I'd love to hear you play it sometime!

Keep those fingers flying Jim!!!

-Dave

# 2
andrew.colomb
Full Access
andrew.colomb
Full Access
07/11/2019 7:50 am
Originally Posted by: Dave Celentano

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your raving review of my "Five Long Years" Freddie King song lesson! Much appreciated! Freddie is one of the true original electric bluesmen and one of my personal favorites. Spending time learning and playing this song you'll see how much Freddie influenced Clapton's blues playing.

It's a lot of work and practice to memorize the solo, but well worth the effort. I'd love to hear you play it sometime!

Keep those fingers flying Jim!!!

I agree with Stratman Dave!

I am probably just below the level required to attempt all these solos !

Question please -

I spent a couple of hours yesterday running through the first two lessons (not anywhere near completing the second one-Verse 1 and 2!!!). I am using Transpose Pro to break down the Verses which helps a lot.

Because of this, is it wise in your opinion to spend so much time to learn the verses in one go or do you think that this should be done over a few days?

Cant wait to be able to play this in full but I can also tell you I've learnt a lot of improvising by making mistakes that I can jam over your backing track with a few of my own riffs!

-Dave

# 3
stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
07/11/2019 2:11 pm

One other thing would be cool, Dave........here with Dave's great Freddie King adaption but also in general: Dave is great to point out some very cool standout licks during his lessons......ones that we should most definitely adopt into our own playing.....but what would be really cool is a quick review (sort of like our better grade school teachers that teach history or geography or any subject and highlights the key points at the end of their lessons so that these stand out) at the completion of the lessons. Sort of like putting emphasis upon key components we should absolutely take away. I once heard the great Stefan Grossman talk about how getting down certain acoustic blues licks or progressions may take 100 or more times through but wind up worthwhile when they're down solid and become a smooth part of our own playing style!! Jim C.

# 4
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/11/2019 3:31 pm

Andrew,

Glad to hear you're tackling "Five Long Years." In answer to your question on learning Verse 1 & 2 fills: I'd start with Verse 1 and try to play all the fills along with the backing track from memory, then proceed to Verse 2 and do the same. This may take a while at first, but it gets easier as you work on it (and it may take you a few days, but don't get discouraged).

I can help you with this and more in a live '1 on 1' lesson here on Guitar Tricks. Here's the link to book a lesson:

https://guitartricks.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php?calendarID=1274409&fbclid=IwAR35LuhmQIjAsO_BNLAO351u0GQvGwofQ5T3_92nJZSa7dDNn2hDfTZP5IU

-Dave

# 5
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/11/2019 3:33 pm

Great point and advice Jim. Thanks for the post!

-Dave

# 6
andrew.colomb
Full Access
andrew.colomb
Full Access
07/11/2019 3:53 pm
Originally Posted by: Dave Celentano

Andrew,

Glad to hear you're tackling "Five Long Years." In answer to your question on learning Verse 1 & 2 fills: I'd start with Verse 1 and try to play all the fills along with the backing track from memory, then proceed to Verse 2 and do the same. This may take a while at first, but it gets easier as you work on it (and it may take you a few days, but don't get discouraged).

I can help you with this and more in a live '1 on 1' lesson here on Giuitar Tricks. Here's the link to book a lesson:

https://guitartricks.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php?calendarID=1274409&fbclid=IwAR35LuhmQIjAsO_BNLAO351u0GQvGwofQ5T3_92nJZSa7dDNn2hDfTZP5IU

-Dave

Many thanks Dave

A live lesson may be the answer and will have to make a plan! Bit difficult and still working for a living and the time difference (UK) is killing!

Thanks again.

# 7
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/12/2019 4:14 pm

Hey Andrew,

If you're seriously considering taking a private online lesson with me and my available times don't work because of the time zone difference, let me know what time would work for you and I'll see if I can make that time available in my schedule.

-Dave

# 8
stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
07/13/2019 1:53 pm

If you don't mind me chiming in D.C., Andrew.......and not that I've had private lessons from Dave .....but I can tell you they don't call Dave 'more bang for yor buck' Celentano for nothing!! Perhaps the most thorough instructor out there and whatever weaker areas you feel need addressed in your guitar playing Dave's the guy to help out tremendously!!

Jim C.

# 9
andrew.colomb
Full Access
andrew.colomb
Full Access
07/15/2019 9:56 am
Originally Posted by: stratmanjimbo

If you don't mind me chiming in D.C., Andrew.......and not that I've had private lessons from Dave .....but I can tell you they don't call Dave 'more bang for yor buck' Celentano for nothing!! Perhaps the most thorough instructor out there and whatever weaker areas you feel need addressed in your guitar playing Dave's the guy to help out tremendously!!

Jim C.

Thanks Jim, I love his lessons.

# 10
W O L V E R I N E
Full Access
W O L V E R I N E
Full Access
07/16/2019 6:53 am

Hi Andrew,

I commend you on your skills, this lesson is quite a challenge. Hats off to each of you.

I second SMJimbo comments re: DC lessons and bang for the buck. I’ve been taking group lessons (interspersed with individual) from Dave since summer 2017 and have learned more in the past couple years than previous couple decades of self-study, tab books and YouTube.

We had a Thursday afternoon group (relative to me in Atlanta, GA, US) of approx 5 students with one in the UK as you, but recently merged with Dave’s Wednesday evening class and our UK friend still makes many of our weekly lessons. It’s a convenient setup, just month-to-month, pay as you go, low/no-pressure (unless you ask for it ;-)

I’m more an 80s rock player by nature, but since Dave’s lessons exposed me to many different styles and genres, I’ve found great appreciation in playing the 12-bar blues and now embrace these opportunities to expand my comfort zone.

In fact just this Wednesday we’re scheduled to begin a series of blues lessons after completing Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here and a very cool Spanish guitar piece that’s not been published yet.

I really think you’d see what the hype is about playing with Dave in person. We have a wide range of skill levels in our group and it sounds like you’d fit right in with us, same as SMJimbo, both of you likely on the semi-advanced / intermediate side of things but everyone is welcome, ... the more the merrier.

It might make sense to schedule a private 1-on-1 this month with him and join us for August — it’s likely we’ll still be working on blues lessons including SRV that I know is one of Stratman Jimbos favs.

Just my $0.02, hope to see you in class,

best regards to both of you,

wolverine

# 11
W O L V E R I N E
Full Access
W O L V E R I N E
Full Access
07/16/2019 6:57 am
Originally Posted by: stratmanjimbo

One other thing would be cool, Dave........here with Dave's great Freddie King adaption but also in general: Dave is great to point out some very cool standout licks during his lessons......ones that we should most definitely adopt into our own playing.....but what would be really cool is a quick review (sort of like our better grade school teachers that teach history or geography or any subject and highlights the key points at the end of their lessons so that these stand out) at the completion of the lessons. Sort of like putting emphasis upon key components we should absolutely take away. I once heard the great Stefan Grossman talk about how getting down certain acoustic blues licks or progressions may take 100 or more times through but wind up worthwhile when they're down solid and become a smooth part of our own playing style!! Jim C.

what a fantastic idea SMJimbo, KEY TAKEAWAYS, emphasizing signature licks, phrases or concepts to conclude a lesson would be very helpful for me as well. Kudos

# 12
andrew.colomb
Full Access
andrew.colomb
Full Access
07/16/2019 9:24 am
Originally Posted by: W O L V E R I N E

Hi Andrew,

I commend you on your skills, this lesson is quite a challenge. Hats off to each of you.

I second SMJimbo comments re: DC lessons and bang for the buck. I’ve been taking group lessons (interspersed with individual) from Dave since summer 2017 and have learned more in the past couple years than previous couple decades of self-study, tab books and YouTube.

We had a Thursday afternoon group (relative to me in Atlanta, GA, US) of approx 5 students with one in the UK as you, but recently merged with Dave’s Wednesday evening class and our UK friend still makes many of our weekly lessons. It’s a convenient setup, just month-to-month, pay as you go, low/no-pressure (unless you ask for it ;-)

I’m more an 80s rock player by nature, but since Dave’s lessons exposed me to many different styles and genres, I’ve found great appreciation in playing the 12-bar blues and now embrace these opportunities to expand my comfort zone.

In fact just this Wednesday we’re scheduled to begin a series of blues lessons after completing Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here and a very cool Spanish guitar piece that’s not been published yet.

I really think you’d see what the hype is about playing with Dave in person. We have a wide range of skill levels in our group and it sounds like you’d fit right in with us, same as SMJimbo, both of you likely on the semi-advanced / intermediate side of things but everyone is welcome, ... the more the merrier.

It might make sense to schedule a private 1-on-1 this month with him and join us for August — it’s likely we’ll still be working on blues lessons including SRV that I know is one of Stratman Jimbos favs.

wolverine

Many thanks for your input wolverine. I intend to have some lessons but time is not on my side at the moment but definitely will get there!

# 13
W O L V E R I N E
Full Access
W O L V E R I N E
Full Access
07/16/2019 11:34 am
Originally Posted by: andrew.colomb
Originally Posted by: W O L V E R I N E

Hi Andrew,

wolverine

Many thanks for your input wolverine. I intend to have some lessons but time is not on my side at the moment but definitely will get there!

Copy that 👍🏻. Until that day... Rock On Andrew 🤘🏻

# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.