Have fun kids

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/03/2019 11:31 pm

Its hard for some to imagine me having fun in my older years. Many, many years ago when I did take structured lessons 1 on 1, without exaggeration I would grit my teeth so hard I thought they would crack.

Thank God I got old!!!

Have fun kids. Let's enjoy the time we have left!

Have fun

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
07/04/2019 12:42 am

Bill's got a new Pacifica 112V!

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/04/2019 1:35 am

Nope! That Yamahopper is somewhere between 13 and 16 years old. And so is the Vox VT15 its played through.

I can't remember what came first, the guitar or the drum kit, but both are Yamaha and purchased from the same dealer in town. Amp as well.

I think there is an optical allusion taking place. I'm not a lefty.

Glad you enjoyed the post. It was with this guitar that I gritted my teeth so hard. Not because of the guitar, but because I was so frustrated with myself. It's good once in a while to look back and realize we can take things too seriously. Things that are meant to be pleasant, become tedious and burdensome.

Edit: my son inherited my performance gene. He's the stage man.

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
07/04/2019 3:03 am
Originally Posted by: William MGNope! That Yamahopper is somewhere between 13 and 16 years old. And so is the Vox VT15 its played through.[/quote]

I went and had another bo peep, but the Pacifica headstock logo isn't either close enough or in sufficient resolution to determine if "Pacifica" is screen printed in block or script, the giveaway "how old?" era tell. IDK precisely the year the suffix V moved to the SMT humbucker, modified smaller scratchplate & metal knobs. I had thought it less than thirteen years ago, but quite apparently not. buggy forum application.

# 4
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
07/04/2019 9:11 am

On topic of having fun, and I know you'll get a kick from this Will_MG -d'you see what he's plugged into? , for those who haven't discovered oldguitarmonkey yet, here's some inspiration for you with an uplifting feelgood tune he posted just today.

Let Dave be an inspiration to all of you of a certain age as he is to me.

Dave Monk alias oldguitarmonkey

# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/04/2019 1:20 pm

Which drum kit?

It would have been the DT series I am sure, just the entry level model. Replaced several years later with a Pearl kit.

No optical illusion. This indicates otherwise

I see what you mean. It does appear as though I am strumming with my left hand. But nope I am not a lefty. I just looked at the original recording on my phone. It’s the way the phone recorded it. Go figure!

On topic of having fun…d'you see what he's plugged into?

I didn't know about this man, but he is in the groove! That's what it is all about.Having fun.

I see he is using a wireless device. Don't recognize it. Would be interesting to find out because there are basically two models. Those at 2.4ghz and those below. I did see some on Amazon at 750mhz for $36cad! I wonder how clear they are? He is nice and clear. I might order a pair just to do a comparison. I see his DAW running on his screen but can’t see what interface he is using. He would have some sort of mixer hooked into either an amp or effects board. When I record in Audacity I run through my effects board into my mixer. No amp. But that's me.I could just easily mic an amp, but the board is much simpler.

# 6
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
07/04/2019 10:26 pm

Copy not a lefty. Amazing how the phone camera processed that. Not even a mirror image, but right to left handed transposition.

Dave's got a personable web page which relates his interesting life story, if you enjoy bios as I do.

[br]I could't make out which brand of wi-fi TX he's using either. Moot to me though. There are a myriad on the market now, and from what I glean most are pretty good. When you were writing about the Xvive the other day I didn't want to digress to take away from your 'moment in the sun' enjoying the excitement of your new toy in mentioning the NUX B2 TX/RX I'd had my eye on for quite some time. Their's is also 2.4GHz. I like NUX (Cherub) products because of the positive experience I've enjoyed with them, and so tend to favour the brand all else being equal when it comes to crunch time. Also a mite cheaper than the Xvive from my favourite reliable supplier, although shopping around for best pricing, the Xvive can be had for about 15% more.

I doubt I'll be buying one for a while though. Triaged pretty low on my GAS desires list. Although I have plenty of wif-fi gadgets in the home, I really don't have any issue with using conventional TS cables for guitar at home nor perceive any need for cable free for me right now.

# 7
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/04/2019 11:20 pm

I had actually left home to purchase the Nux. But unfortunately, the retailer, which is a small local company, keeps irregular hours. This is the same retailer I had purchased the Pacifica from, the drum kit, our Peavey bass amp, our Yamaha acoustic, our Yamaha bass and other "stuff". I like shopping local.

But when I decide to make a purchase it must be made. Not being open for business in the middle of the afternoon makes it hard to make a sale.

So off to out national retailer I went. But they dont stock Nux. I really dont think my ears would have heard a difference anyway.

# 8
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
07/05/2019 12:22 am
Originally Posted by: William MG

I really dont think my ears would have heard a difference anyway.

[p]Me either, regardless of prebyacusis.

Latency would be my only concern with any of them, but any company which implements even the currently available tech without bottom dollar being their priority has that well in hand, even with BT.

# 9
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
07/05/2019 12:54 am

P.S. Will_MG the TX Dave is using is a Line 6 Relay G10 recording into a since superseded Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Very nice -but pricey, kit. He uses Audacity for his DAW.

I own and use the Behringer equivalent, a U-Phoria UMC204HD, sans wi-fi input of course.

# 10
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/05/2019 7:07 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcatWhich drum kit? [/quote]

[br]So, like, I've been playing drums for the church for a couple of years. I find out that I'm actually pretty good at playing drums. For the sake of full disclosure; I was always an awesome air drummer. In a way, literally so. I was playing things correctly as an air drummer. Just not actually hitting anything. As my drummer friend once said; it's different when you actually have to hit them. True. But it came quickly enough.

[br]So, I'm ordering some electronic drums. I don't want to get all the acoustic drum racket so I'm looking at E-Drums. I noted that with all the Amazon giftcards I have from various things added up to about $800 so I can pretty much do that for free!

[br][quote=manXcat]"Just wait until my drum kit arrives!" is a standing GAS joke between my wife and myself which seldom fails to evoke the desired reaction.

[p]

[br]But then there's this:

[br]Guys, I have a problem. It's guitars. Only a couple of month's ago did I get the Gretsch Jet. I joked, but meant it, that it would be my last guitar...always adding the joke > this year.

[br]For my birthday, my wife was lamenting that she didn't do much for me (not true). So I joked. "Well, there's that Telecaster is was pining for...'

[br]Making my mouth go all slack when she replies, "Why don't you?'

[br]What?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

[br]Including my bass, I already have nine pretty darned nice guitars (though one is in parts) and a number hardware updates I'm going to do only my 'old' guitars.

[br]At least I apply a logic to my buys, it is purpose driven. There shouldn't be a guitar buy 'because'. I have one Les Paul, I don't want another. That kinda things.

[br]Still....I remember in the 80's when it was hard enough to afford one! Now that I'm 54 and the fingers ain't what they used to be...I have a stupid collection!

[br]Thought I'd share.

# 11
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/05/2019 8:54 pm

Jeff, that is a great story! Glad you shared. That tele is gorgeous. I think they call it butterscotch?

I can't give you any advice because I have a problem. I have used my son as a way to "justify" just about anything under the sun when it comes to gear. He has little to know interest in it actually. Mere tools! Shocking. Thankfully he has dad lol!

Good luck Jeff. Let us know what you go with.

# 12
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
07/05/2019 10:16 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65So, I'm ordering some electronic drums.[/quote]

GAS Alert!

# 13
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/08/2019 2:48 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG I think they call it butterscotch? [/quote]

Yep, butterscotch. I've never had a maple fretboard guitar out of preference but I wanted a classic Tele. So, butterscotch.

Originally Posted by: William MG Let us know what you go with. [/quote]

Eventually it will be both. Like my wife said; "You mull it over for a long time. You always do and then eventually you'll end up buying (fill in the blank)." I'll use the Amazon cards for the drums and buy the Tele outright.

Originally Posted by: manXcat Perhaps in a couple of years once my current medium term guitar goals are realised.

[br]

Good plan. Staying focused is probably a good thing. You've seen me mention it a million times here in GT but I've been playing a good long time. Though always learning, I'm finding that the music in my head needs to starting coming out. The problem I have is that no drum program (ie - EZ Dummer) quite suffices. Don't get me wrong, EZ Drummer is a great product but never gives me the groove I seek. By playing at least weekly for the last couple of years, I now know that I can actually fall in to the very grooves I'm looking for.

[quote=manXcat] I have reached the phase where I've decided upon a future general policy of 'one in, one out', primarily due to being sensible about maintenance vs frequency of use, and storage, including space. I'm not a collector per se.

I am collecting as a matter of what tools I have at my disposal. I mean, if it were just about playing guitar, I'd only need one guitar if maybe two (ie - the Les Paul and Strat would be sufficient). I want a variety of tone sources for tools.

To what end? I suppose recording stuff no one will ever hear but I have an idea of the quality of music in my head and, well, I want to be able to execute what I have goin' on in there.

Crazy? Perhaps....

[quote=manXcat] Especially the Suzuki RG500. ....another standing joke between us since she came home to find it parked in the garage one day all those years ago.... "borrowed from xxxxx for a few days for an extended test ride".

Nice. It's like it magically appeared.....

-------

And just for the heck of it, here's a good portion of the family. Missing are the FAender Acoustic, Ibanez bass and the disassembled 80's Kramer. Oh, I do also have a manolin (and I'm not even including my wife's Baby Taylor!).

# 14
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/08/2019 4:35 pm

Very cool Jeff. What caught my eye immediately was the family bible. I believe I have very same at home. Been in the family since the late 18something's. I have to take a pic when home and you can compare it to yours.

# 15
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
07/09/2019 12:38 am

The Tele image you posted appears to be the Squier Affinity series Jeff. It's a 6 saddle top loading flat plate bridge on a thinner body with a narrower nut and slimmer section all satin neck of flatter radius. Top loading excepted, all good features AFAIC.

I'm no snob, but is that the model you intend to buy as you mentioned "classic Tele"? The Classic Vibe is actually a MIM Tele series Fender do under the Squier branding, along with a Classic Series under the Fender branding, so I wasn't sure whether you were referring to the classic Tele look, Classic, or Classic Vibe, the latter often contracted to just Classic when people are referring to it. They're quite different in many respects, including price.

Personally of the Squiers I prefer the lighter slimmer Indonesian built Squier Affinity neck profile with my own PUP mods, the exception being the top loading body vs string through, although that's no biggie to live with. I quite like the (satin) maple fingerboard on mine, but you should try the urethane finished vs satin fingerboards before you buy. They feel quite different as do the differing fingerboard radii of the models. Of course, all Fender/Squier models are much cheaper in the USA, so you're fortunate to have that plethora of choice.[br][br]"Tools at my disposal" is essentially my reasoning and rationalisation too, along with the learning and famil experience. Although I could try each type in the shop, one doesn't really know a guitar, aircraft, bike, car, weapon, ..wife = ] ...until handling them every day becoming thoroughly familiar and comfortable with their idiosyncrasies and individual signature characteristics.

No Gretch or Rick here yet though. Unlikely I'll see ownership of either in this lifetime. Their prices are a bit too steep for this hobbyist. I do OTOH have a [u]persistent[/u] hankering to try one of these which I've had for quite some time now, which very much might end up being realised onto a hanger in my studio sometime next year -if they're still available.

# 16
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
07/09/2019 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by: manXcat

The Classic Vibe is actually a MIM Tele series Fender do under the Squier branding

[br]

[br]

[p]

[br]The squier classic vibe series of guitars are made in china not Mexico

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-guitars/telecaster/classic-vibe-telecaster-50s/0303027550.html

Check the picture of the back of the headstock

# 17
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/09/2019 7:32 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat The Tele image you posted appears to be the Squier Affinity series Jeff. It's a 6 saddle top loading flat plate bridge on a thinner body with a narrower nut and slimmer section all satin neck of flatter radius. Top loading excepted, all good features AFAIC.

[br]I'm no snob, but is that the model you intend to buy as you mentioned "classic Tele"? The Classic Vibe is actually a MIM Tele series Fender do under the Squier branding, along with a Classic Series under the Fender branding, so I wasn't sure whether you were referring to the classic Tele look, Classic, or Classic Vibe, the latter often contracted to just Classic when people are referring to it. They're quite different in many respects, including price. [/quote][p]

[br]The image I posted was of theMIM Player series. It does have the modern bridge (6 seperate saddles). With that said, the classic 3 saddle versus the modern 6 saddle is a matter of the model, really. The 'modern' style bridge is on the $2k Elite series but the classic is on the American Professional Series. and for under a thousand bucks, you get a variety of bridges based on the model (the Vintera as the 3 saddle classic).

[br]Though I see what you're saying on the classic Tele. Mostly looking for the Tele twng and vibe but I do prefer the modern saddle configuration. Not sure I'll even keep the pick-ups but I won't know that until I play it.

[br]Not sure if I'm going to pony up the cash for the American made Tele. If the Player is a fine playing tool, I'll go with that probably.

[br][quote=manXcat] No Gretch or Rick here yet though. Unlikely I'll see ownership of either in this lifetime. Their prices are a bit too steep for this hobbyist. I do OTOH have a persistent hankering to try one of these which I've had for quite some time now, which very much might end up being realised onto a hanger in my studio sometime next year -if they're still available.

[p]

It's funny because Cort used to be that company that imported really inexpensive starter guitars. My recollection is low end stuff. But no more!!

Since the Cort factory grinds out a lot of US brands important models, Cort has gotten very good at make great instruments at an affordable price. Good for them.

I checked out the video you sent and read the review and that guitar looks to be a pretty darned good value. For a Gretsch, part of the 'thing' is the 'Tron-style pick-ups (BroadTron/FilterTron). It gives the Gretsch a clarity and almost a twang the is in the middle of a P90 and a Humbucker. I've found after trying both that I prefer the BroadTron. More twank and honk for my taste.

In the written review of the Cort, it refers to the TV Jones sound. Which is great since that is the desired sound for Gretsch.

# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.