Guillmot Maxi Studio

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/02/2002 2:17 am
I'm about to start to commence to prepare to begin to get ready to go about setting up a home system built around a Guillmot Maxi Studio sound card.

I could really use some pointers on how to set things up, and how to avoid getting stung by 'option paralysis'. You know, that "Where do I start?" stuff.

I intend to use a microphone eventually, but I'll be starting out going DI from my Peavey Rock Master preamp and/or a Yamaha DG Stomp.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
trendkillah
trendkillah
11/02/2002 2:33 am
I would look for a book about DAW's.

Always better than having to find out everything by yourself.

Sorry that I don't have a book to recommend, but I bet there are a LOT of good ones out there.
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2002 2:25 pm
Hey LOTS,

I have just finished a project studio built round a Korg D1600. I am really happy with it though it cost a lot !

Recording with a microphone is not a simple as it appears. This is due to several factors:

1) Mic placement,
2) Mic type,
4) Number of mics used
5) Room shape
6) Volume required to get those power tubes at there best
7) A safe place to put the bodies of your neighbors

I am using a Bass Pod a Pod Pro and a GNX2 for recording direct at the moment I like all of them. I started using Boss stomp boxes and found them a bit flat.

Good starting mics are Shure SM58 (vox) and SM57 (Guit).
Both are about 100 USD. I am about to upgrade to a Shure KMS44 (700 USD) and I will write a review after I have checked it out.

Did you check:

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4811

Happy hunting
S

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/10/2002 4:52 pm
Thanks for the advice, fellas, but I haven't got there yet.

The first thing I can tell you about this card, is its a right bugger to install!

I vented some of my frustration on the undeserving bloke who sold me the card, and he put me onto these resources:

Guillemot phone number: 1-514-279-9960

A discussion group on Yahoo: MaxiSound

User reviews: MaxiStudio ISIS

For CuBase users: ISIS

Apparently, the Windows 'Plug'n'Pray' routine is just not ready for the way the installation software is written (and vice-versa). I eventually got it to install by stepping through the boot-up manually, and loading the drivers from the CD.

I expect this thread will become a running commentary/resource for this particular recording system. Any other Guillemot owners are welcome to contribute. (Thats a hint, people!)

So far, this project has been... interesting! :rolleyes:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/10/2002 10:28 pm
i also use the maxi studio isis card and i am VERY satisfied with it- but now i am thinking about getting the Aarvark Q10 - now THAZ a card

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.