So lets not build a guitar

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/31/2019 4:48 pm

In an earlier post I had invited everyone along for the ride as I tried my hand at building a kit guitar. I decided not to add to that post as manXcat and myself got off on a rambling conversation.

So update on the guitar build. The kit did arrive today. Very dissapointed in the body and neck. I did not open the electronics package. The flaws in the body were a small dent which would have been difficult to sand out without making a noticable indent in the body. The neck was pretty bad. Binding separation, dented frets. Stained inlays.

Immediately after seeing this I requested a refund which I am hopeful I will receive. Had the guitar not been $299 I would have been more willing to possibly accept these issues and deal with them. But considering that we are in Squire/Epiphone territory it becomes less palitable. Keep in mind the price does not include finish materials. My time is "hobby time" so I cant include that. But my personal experience has shown me that this kit guitar was overpriced for what it is.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
05/31/2019 11:57 pm

Sincerely sorry to hear that venture didn't work out favourably for you William MG. Or perhaps it went as it was meant to ...and did work out.. ??

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/01/2019 12:17 am

It's all good manXcat. I wasn't looking for anything other than satisfying curiosity. I am actually quite happy with the guitars we have but am always interested in something new. This was purely curiosity to see "how can they do it?" After my purchase I'd say they can't.

I just tried posting some pics but it looks like I will need to resize them.

In the meantime I picked up my Squire Telecaster from a local guitar tech tonight. He had made some adjustments for me and am looking forward to playing it later on. I've been using it as I learn some Stones.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
06/01/2019 2:25 am
Originally Posted by: William MG

In the meantime I picked up my Squire Telecaster from a local guitar tech tonight. He had made some adjustments for me and am looking forward to playing it later on. I've been using it as I learn some Stones.

Lubbly jubbly! I love Teles. Truly. Even my cheapest, most lowbrow which funnily enough, ultimately though I have them here I decided not to swap the pickups out of for better alnicos on. I like how its ceramics sound. Does '60's like distortion for "Sunshine of Your Love" and "Cocaine" well even if Eric does like his Strats. And the fingerboards on those Squiers are a comfortable radius as is their non-vintage neck profile and narrower nut.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.