View post (Lets have fun with a guitar build)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
06/01/2019 2:05 am

Barry Sheene (UK) and Stu Avant (AU) were the prominent RG exponents I recall during the square four era. But now that you mention Randy, whom I well remember.

I think Randy was with Yamaha with Eddie Lawson before he switched to Suzuki circa 1980 to escape Eddie's dominance. They were the ultimate team personality mismatch. Randy was always entertaining. Eddie OTOH was a [u]great[/u] rider, very cool under pressure and delivered. Wayne Rainey similarly, but could present it with a personality.

Kevin Schwantz, an you either 'love him or hate him' kind of personality - I love him, was fabulously entertaining, but he rode 500GP for Suzuki during the the V era not the square four era, and the Suzuki team had nowhere near the budget to expend on tech development that Honda or Yamaha did, or do. Hell's bells. Kawasaki wouldn't even play in the 500GP for that reason. Schwantz performed miracles on what he was given to ride. Even won the WC on the Pepsi Suzuki RGV500 one year (1993) as I recall which was nothing short of a miracle and a testament to his riding given Suzuki's relative budget.