View post (Lets have fun with a guitar build)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
05/30/2019 9:50 pm

Good direction to go methinks William (Bill?). Following your adventure with curiosity piqued.

Colour is so personally subjective, I wouldn't dare suggest other than for me. I do like flame tops though, and would suggest you can still see the matching stain and wood grain everywhere else through either a translucent or clear finish.

On quality guitars for a reasonable price.

Someone I'd call a friend of mine rather than aquaintance (he's 73 next birthday) recently ordered - since received (early 05/19), an ES-335 hollow body style guitar from a Chinese manufacturer through Alibaba. Landed to his door, as I recall it owed him around the AUD$400 mark, presently about USD$275.

I've only seen his pic of it so far, as he headed off with his wife on a six week OS world holiday jaunt a day or two after receiving it, I haven't had his report on how it plays or how its pickups sound yet. Spec is good. He's an experienced guitarist with multiple guitars, both electric and acoustic. We first played together back in '74 when we were both young wanna' be army subalterns on officers' course together, so I've known him a while, and well though our lives ultimately took different career paths. I suspect he is also an INTJ. He did tell me not long ago discussing when something on another tangent.

[u]The interesting aspect relative to your build[/u] is, I think the motivation for him to buy A. off Alibaba from China direct, and B. what is really a bit of a pig in a poke when he could have bought a Harley Benton with surety and safety from reputable Thomann fielding the guaranteed QC was the irresistable allure to him of the Gibson name and logo inlayed on an exact Gibson shaped headstock. The faked serial and "Made in USA" stamped on the reverse weren't really important to him AFAIK as he didn't buy for the purpose of resale with intent to defraud. Of course, this Chinese company is unethical in what they're doing, but their continued success selling into western markets, particularly the US where they seem to be successful getting them past customs regardless they are a forgery, just illustrates how strong the pull of perceived transferred kudos associated with a label is.

Good luck with the project. Sounds like a winner. Quality components assembled and finished with Canadian craftsmanship - hopefully, with care and local support.

PS. Is that you riding the motorcycle in the photo in the background of your YT vid?