View post (Gear chat follow up with manXcat)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/28/2019 11:21 am
Originally Posted by: manXcat
Originally Posted by: William MG

You’ve put a lot into this manXcat. I wish I hadn’t removed my post. You see, after reconsidering, I felt there was no gain in being contrarian with a gentleman such as yourself.

[br]But I always appreciate a good talk on gear. I like learning about it, messing with it etc. For me, it’s part of the fun.

[p]

[br]No problem either way William MG. I didn't take what you said negatively. Fortunately we seem to be people who can express views and indulge in discussion enjoyably without egos driving the bus to umbrage at the fact.

[br]You're thoughtful in what you say, clearly love your gear and are enthusiastic about guitar and Guitar Tricks. All good stuff beneficial to our micro community.

[br]I get your fascination with tech and gear. I do too to a point. I think it's a fairly common susceptibility in the world of materialistic temptation today.

[br]I realised pretty quickly when I steered briefly in that direction early on, that that wasn't where I wanted either my energy or primary focus to be right now. I'm usually fairly good with high tech and complex, but in my case, whilst I could comprehend the manuals quickly and easily enough, certainly felt overwhelmed in applying it all practically - understatement. o.O

[br]I'm assimilating it on the journey, gradually, savouring each 'mouthful'. After my initial flurry with 'pedaldom', I think I realised I needed to venture further down the experience first track than end up with lots of stuff I had no immediate need or use for, or might not later.

[br]But, if it brings you pleasure adding to making the guitar journey fun for you as apparently it does, and you can obviously afford it, more power to you I say.

[br]I wasn't aware of the VOX MV50. Just to clarify is yours actually the MV50 Clean version?

[br]VOX head into the Peavy 4x12 cab.That sounds like a very tasty setup. Good neighbours have we?!!

[br]Very fortunately I do too at the moment. I spoke with my nearest this morning just to make sure all was OK with my "Sunshine Of Your Love" & "Cocaine" racket over and over and over of late. He and his wife own and run the local bakery - in a small coastal regional holiday town, so he's up very early AM and comes home to sleep at varying hours mid-morning. I think my expressed concern and offer to shift practise times to accomodate him or compromise if it was in any way a nuisance hit a right note.

[br]And to panu.rantanen. Nice to meet you, but also my apology. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Forgive me, us if you would please?

[br]

[p]

I wanted to answer your question manXcat but felt our conversation was moving Panu's thread away from his original intention.

And yes, we are clearly on the same wave length in terms of social interaction. We seem to live in a time when too many have polarized themselves and forgotten that we can disagree without being "disagreeable".

But on to your question: Yes I have the clean version of the little Vox. It is an amazing little amp. Contains something called a "Nutube", which provides for some level of breakup in the amp. It actually does work. It is rated at 50 watts but this is at 4 ohms. The cab I am running it into is wired at 8 ohms. So I have to move the switch to 8 ohms which gives me an effective 25 watts. The amp itself is switchable between 4,8 and 16 ohms.

But at it's current setting and configuration it is plenty loud. In my home I can only get as high as 1/2 volume at 1/2 gain. I am currently playing with a new to me Epiphone LP Standard I recently purchased off the local swap and these volume/gain settings are with the guitar volumes set to max on either rhythm or lead. Beyond that it really gets silly. So a typical play session would have a jam track running from my phone into another amp - last night I tried running the the jam track through a little Vox VT15, but it proved hopeless. So I had to turn down the MV50. However, if I run the jam track through our Peavey TNT 115 or another big Peavey bass amp (100 watts at 2 ohms) I have no issue. But wow this is getting loud and I cannot do this with anyone in the house wanting to watch tv or just have peace and quite.

My son and his band will hopefully have some outdoor gigs this summer (they usually do) and I would be interested in hearing it out of doors just to hear what it is capable of. It would be an experiment more than a practical application as the band has there own setup and that really cant be messed with.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!