View post (Harley Benton Guitars)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
05/21/2019 9:30 pm

PS. I wouldn't say no to a Marshall stack if someone was kindly gifting it to me, but if I was paying and could afford it, my taste runs to something BIG from VOX for that early Beatlesque sound profile.

A Vox story, kinda'.

My wife and I had to good fortune to attend Petula Clark's 2019 Australian Tour this month. Booked early, so we had an up close view of the perfomance from centre of row seats in row four in a very modern auditorium where Pet performed to an appreciative regional city audience of about 350 people. The older very accomplished lead guitarist in her accompanying ensemble was using a huge VOX with his super strat. His playing made its tones shine, and although Pet performed her contemporary material too, her 1960s tunes for which she is especially well known were complimented by that tones from that amp. What a polished veteran! Ever the experienced professional, she well knows what she can still do with her voice at 87, and does it admirably well. As to her stamina. Two sets of an hour each divided by a 20 minute interval, with only about 15 minutes banter throughout each set. Wow! Wouldn't have missed it for quids as we would have said a generation ago in her 1960s heyday!

[br]As usual I digressed. That said, I don't yet own an amp I don't like, and I own and play four so far. I have to laud accolade by way of honourable mention on my Fender Champion 100 x2 too. Affordable, arguably my favourite so far, I really love it. "Surfer Girl" watch out.