View post (Tubes vs Solid State)

View thread

Izzy Phoreal
Full Access
Izzy Phoreal
Full Access
04/20/2019 1:29 pm

I replied to an article in the GT Blog on gear. Not once, but twice my comment was deleted. Now, it wasnt offensive, or deragatory, just pointing out some incorrect information.

Here is my comment, you be the judge.

QUOTE [Solid-state amps are digital, which means if something goes wrong, it’s really difficult to pinpoint where the problems lie, that is unless you’re an electrician or something]

[br]This statement is totally wrong, and its obvious the author doesn't understand the difference between analog and digital. As a matter of fact, most solid state amps have analog circuitry. The main difference between tube and analog amps is the devices that are used for amplification. Tubes (or valves for you Brits) are voltage controlled devices, as opposed to transistors which are current controlled devices. It may be a surprise to some, but there are amps out there that have hybrid circuitry, meaning they use both tubes and transistors.

[br]The amps that contain digital circuitry are mostly amps that provide amp modeling and/or digital effects. But even those contain analog circuitry for amplification purposes.

[br]For those who are interested, here is a brief explanation of the terms analog and digital

.[br]ANALOG: All sounds we hear are actually compressions and rarefactions of the air that make our eardrum vibrate. If you drew those movements on chart, you would have a graphical representation of the sound, commonly known as a waveform. A waveform typically has amplitude (loudness). frequency (pitch), and harmonic content (tone). Guitars use devices called pickups to translate string vibration to an electrical signal. This signal is very weak, in the order of millivolts. To be useful, several stages of amplification are required. Each stage of amplification reproduces the original signal faithfully, except with more gain (volume).

[br]Thus the signal in the chain is an analogy of the original signal, albeit it may have been slightly modified by tone shaping circuits. This is true for tube amps, and most solid state amps.

[br]DIGITAL: In digital systems, a waveform is converted to a string of numbers (this is called Analog to Digital conversion, A/D), Then, mathematical algorithms are used to modify certain parameters. After they are modified, the numbers are converted back to a waveform (this is called Digital to Analog conversion, D/A).

[br]Where and when this conversion takes place depends on the amp's design. One thing that is certain, all amps contain some degree of analog circuitry , if only to prepare the signal for the A/D process and also to convert it back so we can hear it.

[br]On a last note, you don't need to be an electrician or something (author's words, not mine lol) to work on guitar amps, all you need is a good understanding of basic electronics and to be able to work safely. Tube amps have very high voltages that can kill you, so be careful out there (I sound like sergeant Phil in Hill Street Blues lol).