View post (Scale confusion)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/15/2019 12:37 pm

You're welcome for the reply.

Originally Posted by: William MGI have read this several times but I am not sure I fully follow but perhaps as I get more experience it will become clearer.

Let's see if I can help you understand! :)[br][br]

Any given scale is identified by two pieces of info: its root note and its scale formula. We start with it's root note, anywhere you can find it on any given instrument.

So for example, the C major scale can be played starting on the note C, anywhere you can find it on the guitar. There are lots of places to play the note C on the guitar and, therefore all of them are valid places to start playing the C major scale. Then we follow with the scale formula and get the notes D, E, F, G, A & B. And place them anyway on the guitar you can find them.

The Scale Finder is a tool for doing exactly that. It shows you every place on the guitar that you can play the notes of the C major scale. It covers the fretboard with C major scale notes.

For example, Pattern 1 on the Scale Finder shows this fretboard pattern.

But notice that this pattern shows more notes above & below the Cs of the beginner viersion. That's because there are more notes of the scale available in that position. But it's just not necessary for a beginner version. In fact it just potentially causes more confusion & info overload for a beginner. However for the purpose of the Scale Finder tool, it's a necessary inclusion because those notes are there!

I hope helps to clarify the issue & makes sense in a way that helps you understand. Please ask more if necessary & best of success with the scale!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory