View post (Scale confusion)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/12/2019 2:12 am
Originally Posted by: William MG

hoping I can get some help with the scale finder tool. I am going through Lisa's tutorial right now and am on the C Major scale. But I when I look at what she is showing and try to find it on the tool I cant find it.[/quote][p]Lisa teaches the C major scale in this lesson & you can see which notes she is referring to by the notation on the page.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=24484&s_id=2010

[quote=William MG]Can anyone help me understand how to use this tool?

The Scale Finder is simply a reference tool. It always regards "Pattern 1" as whatever pattern that places the root note on the low E string & played by the pinky, regardless of any other factor. Then, it covers all the strings & frets with notes from that scale in that position. Likewise for the other patterns: the goal is simply to cover the fretboard with the scale pattern. So the Scale Finder is more like a dictionary or encyclopedia of every possible C major scale pattern!

On the other hand, Lisa is teaching the most basic C major scale as a unit (one octave C to C in the low register) at a beginner level. So, use the material on the lesson site to follow what she is playing.

If it helps, you can see the pattern that Lisa is teaching on the Scale Finder if you click on C, then major (ionian), then Pattern 4.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory