View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

sgautier8th
Full Access
sgautier8th
Full Access
04/13/2019 3:02 pm

Wow, Brent, you're pretty excited by the guitar lessons - awesome! I tried the books with one string at a time and one note at a time and could never stay interested; it just seemed that I would never get beyond Mary had a Little Lamb. In person lessons didn't work for my schedule and I felt they were a waste of time and money, but maybe someday when I am semi-retired and can actually go on a set schedule. GT was perfect for me, but I agree with you that everyone needs to figure out what works best for them.

Montana - go slow, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat . . . (need I say more? LOL)

I am having 2 main issues right now:

- speed of chord transitions in the practice songs in Fundamentals 2 (just about to start Barre Chords sections, but holding up while I try to get my speed up to match Lisa McC's in the most recent lessons - in particular, the 7th Avenue something or other, cool tune with a half-bar transition between C7, A7, F, B7 that sounds really cool and 'ragtimy' but not quite able to do it in time (yet).

- strumming - I can do the patterns, but when I play longer songs, I can't hold on to the pick, or it gets out of position on the strings. Much harder than what I originally thought.