View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

sgautier8th
Full Access
sgautier8th
Full Access
04/10/2019 6:45 pm

Awesome thread, this is the community we need (though I'm not sure that 45 is old enough to be on the Old Folks thread - LOL) to keep ourselves motivated with sufficient empathy and resassurance!

I ventured off-site and found the chords to the Irish Folk Song "Black Velvet Band" (I have a soft spot for Irish Folk music, but I love Country, Blues and Rock n Roll as well). Anywho, only three chords and a constant pattern. Thanks to GT (I am half-way into Fundamentals 2), I was able to listen to the song (about 50 times) and discern that 3/4 time would give me the right "beat" (3 quarter notes per measure). So I put together a little arrangement for myself where I finger-pick the high and low notes together as the first note and then the high note and then the low note in each chord (3 quarter notes) for each measure on the verses. Alternativey, for the Chorus, I pick the bass note of the chord and strum the rest of the full open chord for two notes (3 quarter notes total) for each measure. I am so incredibly impressed with myself. I still have trouble keeping up with the final quick transitions on the last line of each verse and chorus (F, G7, C for one measure each), but getting there and my wife says that it sounds great (and the dogs stopped howling at me when I play).

Trying my hand(s) at Imagine, ran through it at .5 speed (funny) and made most transitions okay. Tried it at .75 and was not quite as good, but going to practice. This is a great introductory song to start practicing the "F" Barre Chord !