View post (Fretting hand tension)

View thread

skaiser1200
skaiser1200
04/01/2019 7:36 am

I worked through these lessons, and a couple more.

#1 I needed to set up my strap higher, so that the guitar can sit on my torso rather than on my leg

#2 having the body of the guitar in front of me (having the guitar sit on the left leg) is more comfortable for me and i can play with more ease.

#3 i need to practice my thumb rolling down the back of the neck

Basically i what i noticed yesterday is that i claw too much with my thumb and the result is that if i start for example the a minor pentatonic in position 1, my thumb would be sitting like you proposed, Christopher : diagonal to the fingers „through“ the neck of the guitar, so basically on the lower third of the back of the neck.

As i move up in the scale my thumb wouldn‘t move. Making it extremely hard to keep my fingers flat especially on strings B and e.

Vice versa, if i start from the high end of the scale, my thumb would stay on the bottom third of the back of the neck.

What i focused on yesterday is much like in Golf, where the „right hand is just along for the ride“.

I focused on pushing and rotating my wrist underneath the neck of the guitar while my thumb is just along for the ride and does what it needs to do.

It is quite difficult, actually, to focus on this and still get the scale right, but i find it a training that is worthwhile doing.

Christopher: from reading this, would you feel that i‘m On the right track with these analogies?

Regards

Stefan