Picking it up after 20 years - Question

sgautier8th
Full Access
sgautier8th
Full Access
03/03/2019 3:43 am

I always wanted a guitar when I was in my teens, but we didn't have money for such things. A guy in the dorm in college let me strum his 6-string nylon in college and showed me a few songs (Wish you were here) and I ran out and bought a Yamaha FG410, but never took lessons.

We didn't have computers and the internet back then. I learned some chords and how to read tab from some friends and learned a few songs. I never really got the hang of Barre Chords and how to transition to and through them. I got frustrated with my inability to progress and put it down.

I picked up the guitar again in my early 30's, bought a Tacoma DM18 because it sounded awesome and was on sale. I bought some tab and learned some new songs, I took a few lessons and played with a neighbor until he moved away. Still never really got past the F Barre-Chord and put it down again.

Now I'm 50 and my 13 year old son wants to learn the guitar, so I dusted off the FG410 and the DM18. I started him out with this old-school learn-to-play guitar book and then I found GuitarTricks.com - AWESOME! We are really enjoying learning together.

I futz around with my guitar and strum chords and do some finger-picking every day, but my son and I do lessons together 3X per week and we are working through the Fundamentals course in order. I'm a little impatient, but I'm staying patient in front of him.

Question - I've always wanted to try electric and he wants to try electric - I told him that he had to stick with it for 6 months and learn to play on the acoustic first. Do you think that's the right approach? How long should I wait before I try an electric and how long should I make him wait?

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
03/03/2019 4:37 am

Depends. You gave it away twice before. Your son might do the same too when the novelty wears off, ...or not. Ć°ÅøĀ¤ā€

Are you sure its not just the need for something new and mysterious wanting to recreate the initial stimulation and excitment again?

Ultimately I guess it depends on what spending on an electric is to your lifestyle budget, and whether that's OK if it ends up stored in a cupboard in twelve months time. Questions only you can answer.

You've already got guitars to do Fundamentals with. Personally, I'd give it at least 6 to 8 weeks cooling off to give the emotion time to either consolidate or dissipate the impulse. If you're both still just as keen then, go for it. That's what I did when the impulse took me to take up guitar again after a long hiatus.

Heartily endorse electric, both for learning on and playing stuff you just need an electric to cover. They are fun. Of course it won't stop there though. Additionally you"ll want an instrument cable and an amp at minimum, although chances are GAS will take hold once you start.

Ask me how I know... Ć°ÅøĀ¤Ā£Ć°ÅøĖœā€ Ć°ÅøĖœā€š

# 2
brother_hesekiel
brother_hesekiel
03/03/2019 7:01 pm

My story is a bit similar to yours (I'm 61 now), and if there's one positive thing about this, it's that with age comes the determination to follow up on what we've put our mind to.

I'm a bit of a gear head in everything (I live in an old house, enjoy classic cars, motorcycles, vintage motorscooters, wrist watches, etc.), meaning, whenI pick something up (started tennis a few years back, and l love it), I tend to go all out and reward myself. That's probably not a good thing, as it costs money, but we all need our stimulants, don't we?

On You Tube, there's a girl with the name "RachelF" and she started learning the guitar 3 years ago, documenting her progress after year 1, year 2, and year 3. She uses exclusively an electric guitar, and loves it.

https://youtu.be/yXpj1ifleec

Your son may be more motivated if he can use an electric guitar as well. In fact, I'd venture to guess that most kids feel that way. If you can afford it, I think you should allow him to get a rather inexpensive electric, such as a Fender Squire, and suggest to do what I do: learn on the acoustic, then repeat the next day on the electric.

Just my 2 cents.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.