Important Person

metalisbest
metalisbest
10/23/2002 9:21 pm
How do you become a moderator or an important person on this site? This question is mostly asked toward the moderators themselves. I would like to contribute more to this site than just songs and post questions.
# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/24/2002 5:25 am
Well - iĀ“m a host and a moderator - and i basically post songs and questions *LOL* and if necessary i take action against abusers (which i have to say are very rare on this site - thumbs up for GT and all its mods!) .. and sometimes i even give answers! :D

if u wanna be a host try applying for it - maybe uĀ“ll make the cut. as for moderators.. i dunno - best chances are when a new forum opens here that needs a mod or when an old mod "retires" *LOL* ..

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/24/2002 5:27 am
but there is something you can help me with.. iĀ“ve been trying to set up a cool chat for quite a while.. what i need is a cool, simple and easy-to-use IRC-client - not as complicated as mIRC but as powerfull! - any ideas? (should be for free ;)

and it should be web-based - it sucks if you have to download and setup some tool first - peeps should simply login and bam - thatz about it. i personally would reccomend a CGI based chat (has nothing to do with IRC at all) like Alamak or Mysticalrealm.. but peeps donĀ“t seem to like client-pull chats that are not self-refreshing..

[Edited by Azrael on 10-24-2002 at 12:30 AM]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 3
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
10/24/2002 6:33 pm
The last time we had an IRC channel for GT nobody really visited it appart from me, Azreal, Christoph and one or two others. It strikes me chat just wasn't a popular idea. Either that or not enough people knew of it because we onlt advertised it on the forum. Maybe put something on the main page if you get a new chat-room set up. If you go back to irc try using a different server. Dalnet is popular, and it connects from just about anywhere. (the dissadvantage is that it can become lagged as hell sometimes.) Or maybe attatch an acctual chat-client to the main GT page
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 4
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/24/2002 7:03 pm
the problem isnt the IRC server nor that it was not too popular - the problem was/is that the irc-applet i had was crap an i havent found a better one that is for free - unless we do not have a 100% idiot-proof chat there is no sence in putting it on the GT mainpage you see?

# 5
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/24/2002 7:09 pm
iĀ“m working on it.. just found a few scripts.. gimme some time

# 6
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
10/24/2002 7:56 pm

I remember seeing Fretslug, Az, Barsley, and educatedfilm in the chat. Oh yeah . . . and Charcon. :)

I guess it was pretty popular among the members that are always on here.

# 7
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/24/2002 9:22 pm
all those damn scripts requre me actually running an IRC server on my own.. and i havent found a propper PHP/mysql solution yet .. crap.. but maybe iĀ“ll find a java chat somewhere that does not produce TOO much traffic.. oh well.. wait and see

# 8
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
10/25/2002 8:43 am
Ever think of having a channel on mIRC? I'm pretty sure the Dalnet servers take care of everything for you.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 9
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/25/2002 10:13 am
dude - mIRC is just a client for IRC - the problem is, that mIRC is not webbased and not too user friendly. It is the best client out there - no doubt. but peeps do not want to download a whole proggy and set it up (which is NOT for unexperienced users) just to say "hello" - i personally use mIRC only, but what we need is a webbased chat where noone has got to download anything, you see?

# 10
kingdavid
kingdavid
10/25/2002 12:05 pm
Originally posted by metalisbest
...important person on this site?...

Everyone who takes part in this site is an important person.And that is not mushy talk;if no one came to this site,or posted on this site,who would the mods mod?
# 11
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
10/25/2002 3:39 pm
Originally posted by Azrael
dude - mIRC is just a client for IRC - the problem is, that mIRC is not webbased and not too user friendly. It is the best client out there - no doubt. but peeps do not want to download a whole proggy and set it up (which is NOT for unexperienced users) just to say "hello" - i personally use mIRC only, but what we need is a webbased chat where noone has got to download anything, you see?

I understand. I guess since I'm on it all the time, I never really thought about the hassle it would be for everyone who wants to be in the chat room to get on.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.