View post (What's harder, guitar or bass??)

View thread

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/20/2002 2:29 pm
I play both 6/12-string guitar and 4 string bass, all are fun. My wife plays a whole bunch of wind instruments as well as the piano (non of which I can play) however she mentioned she was into the idea of playing the bass so we got a Squire P-bass starter pack and it is fantastic, Id recommend it t any one.

As far as which is easier, I’d say they are about the same. I think it depends solely on what you play. Although the scales are the same shape, dont expect to play the same thing on the bass as you do on the guitar. Technically, basses have drainpipes for strings, which can really chew your finger ends. The frets are further apart which makes your fingers tiered faster. Practice cures both of these things so it is not a biggy.

If you are going to get a bass, you may want to think carefully about scale length, as my Peavey Cirrus is a monster relative to the little Squire P- fellow. Strings are important 2, I’m playing GSH boomers and I love them. It is also worth checking out flat as opposed to round wound strings.

I’m using a Line6 Bass Pod, which is very versatile; you can go from Lemmy to Mark King with ease! It is great for recording with. I have never gigged with it but have no reason to think It would suddenly die on me.

Best of luck dude
S

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS