Pick falling out of my fingers...

Blakeney8
Full Access
Blakeney8
Full Access
12/06/2018 2:19 am

To this day, my pick falls out of my thumb and first finger after a few measures of strumming. I am ready to super glue the pick to my thumb. Any help will be greatly apprciated.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
12/06/2018 7:52 pm

Hi bluz47

It sounds like you're not holding the pick firm enough. You want to hold like anything else, and make sure it doesn't slip when you strike the strings.

It could also be that, you're strumming and digging too much into the strings.

This problem is a quick fix. I suggest watching this video in the fundamentals course: https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=22136&s_id=1777

Lisa will show you proper pick handling.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
manXcat
manXcat
12/07/2018 1:04 am

As already recommended above. If you've aready covered that and are having the problem.

Are you using a pick with a serrated grip? Try one of these in either the .73 or .60. An adaptive one size suits all compromise IME, .73 works for most everything electric or acoustic, .60 OK for strumming either and note picking acoustic.

[br]Technique. Are you digging in rather than strumming?

Thickness? Thinner will be easier for strumming, especially on acoustic.

Bad habit/controversional technique admission. I use a three finger pick grip most of the time. Works for me. I'll modify that if and when necessary.

# 3
seaborn
seaborn
12/07/2018 4:04 pm

too much into the strings. https://audacity.onl/ https://findmyiphone.onl/ https://origin.onl/

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
12/10/2018 4:05 pm

I'll give my simple input, which is similar to the others but I'll say it this was; you don't need a lot of the tip of the pick to hit the strings when you strum. I use a very thing pick (Dunlop Jazz III) even for strumming. The Jazz III is a very small, thick and rigid pick. Not ideal for strumming. Give me a standard sized/thickness pick and I can't do it. I gotta use this thick little thing. Other picks feel like dinner plates when I use them.

Point here is that I don't drop the pick. That's due to the fact that I am not hitting the string with the with anything more the the tip. You don't need more than the actual tip. If you dig in deeper (as others said), you're actually hitting the string with more of the pick than you need.

Think of it from a physics standpoint; if the pick is hitting the string in the middle of the broad side of the pick, you have a lot of mass trying to pass through the string. The pick ain't gonna give because you have too much body of the pick hitting the string. The string ain't gonna give because it is essentially a tension cable and it's job is to maintain its rigidity. One strong force against another because there is too much amss of the pick hitting the string.

Solution? Tip of the pick. The is just enough mass of the pick to strick and move the string but not so much that as you're hand moves past the string(s) that the string won't 'let go' of the pick.

Or I coulda said it this way; sometimes I strum without a pick and just use the end of my finger. I'm only gonna hit the string with the tip of my nail and not above the first knuckle (ouch!)..you could see how that would go if I was hitting above the first knuckle. Same with a pick.

# 5
Blakeney8
Full Access
Blakeney8
Full Access
12/11/2018 7:46 pm

Thanks for all of the tips. They all make a lot of sense. I apprciate them!

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.