SFS theory?? Anyone

garysbraccia
garysbraccia
12/03/2018 11:30 pm

I stumbled upon SFS on youtube and he has some interesting theories. Anyone familiar with his way of teaching? I am hoping to hear from seasoned guitarists on this subject.

thanks

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/04/2018 3:04 am

Hey, there!

Originally Posted by: garysbraccia

I stumbled upon SFS on youtube and he has some interesting theories. Anyone familiar with his way of teaching?

That's a new one to me. So I searched for the term & found this site. Is this what you are referring to?

https://www.effectivemusicpractice.com/lessons/sfs-pentatonics/

Based on what I'm seeing there it looks like it could be a handy way of visualizing the pentatonic scale across the fretboard. The problem I see is a common one with scale methods: it's a series of dots without musical context.

So, you'll get a handy way to learn & memorize the box shapes, but it doesn't address the most important issue: why those shapes? Why does the scale form that specific, peculiar shape?

To be fair, that instructor may cover that in more detail once you get further into the system. But I'm not seeing it on the intro page or video.

The answer to those questions is to learn the musical intervals that make the scale. Then you get the musical context of the pattern. You connect the sound with the fretboard shapes.

Have a look at this tutorial that covers the pentatonic scales in depth & detail.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=296

Then have a look at these tutorials that show how to systematically practice them.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=722

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=185

Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary & best of success with the pentatonic scales!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
12/04/2018 3:49 am

Love this forum. Learn so much from direction others' questions take replies.

Christopher your seemingly boundless enthusiasm and perpetual generosity sharing such a depth of subject knowledge with others is a constant source of inspiration for me.

My thanks to you both.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/05/2018 3:32 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

Christopher your seemingly boundless enthusiasm and perpetual generosity sharing such a depth of subject knowledge with others is a constant source of inspiration for me.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I appreciate it. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
garysbraccia
garysbraccia
12/06/2018 2:49 am

Chirstopher, thx for taking the time for the explanation.

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/06/2018 4:18 pm
Originally Posted by: garysbraccia

Chirstopher, thx for taking the time for the explanation.

You're welcome!

Keep in mind that there are also plenty of lessons that incorporate the pentatonic scale into the content. For example, if you work through the Rock, Blues or Country courses you will see pentatonic scales used in many different ways. But those lessons are more about how to apply the scales. The lessons that I linked for you are mostly focused on the theory of the scale & how to drill it as technical exercises to automate it.

Have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.