Buying a guitar mail order

mtbkr55
mtbkr55
11/03/2018 3:18 pm

I've been playing 3 years now, ready to purchase a nicer guitar. Been researching a Fender JA-90 Thinline Telecaster Jim Adkins Signature. On paper, it has everything I want: Telecaster thinline body, short scale, P90 pickups. Yet I can't locate a store anywhere to go and actually play one. My only option seems to be mail order and take my chances. Most of the chains offer 30 day returns, but you have to pay return shipping. Is that how most of you buy guitars now?

# 1
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
11/03/2018 8:10 pm

I always like to play the guitar before I buy it to make sure I like how it feels and plays.

# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
11/03/2018 9:24 pm
Originally Posted by: mtbkr55Fender JA-90 Thinline Telecaster Jim Adkins Signature. On paper, it has everything I want: Telecaster thinline body, short scale, P90 pickups.

Nice.

Except for my first when I took the plunge a year ago this month, for a myriad of reasons, that's how I [u]now[/u] prefer to buy all my guitars. In hindsight, I regret not buying my first that way too, but I was under the errant illusion buying from a walk-in LMS would be smarter after the 45 year hiatus. I was wrong. Another >USD$1k new guitar winging its way to me as I type.

RMA returns are ordinarily free (at sellers' expense), and in the US many etailers offer change of mind returns free too -within a time limit caveat. But do read the fine print on returns.

The problem I have with free 'change of mind' returns is that along with all the other attitudes in 2018, a percentile of people do abuse it. So it's up to the integrity and honesty in trading of the etailer as to whether they then offer that returned stock for resale as B stock (e.g. as Thomann do) or listed as a customer return. The stores I use do.

If you know what you want, there's absolutely no rational [u]need[/u] other than emotional hand holding to limit yourself to buying only from a walk-in [u]if you choose a reputable etailer[/u] and [u]reputable product,[/u] are capable of and [u]do your own homework.[/u]

[br]As always with a topic such as this, YMMV.

# 3
mtbkr55
mtbkr55
11/04/2018 3:57 pm

Thanks! Like many other people, I'm pretty much an Amazon slave. But shoes, clothes, and guitars have always been "must touch" items for me. But with all the resources available like youtube and on-line feedback/reviews, you can literally evaluate a product to death. I guess I'll just suck it up and order on-line. If I don't like the guitar, I will be out shipping charges, but that's small in comparison to total price.

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/05/2018 1:33 pm
Originally Posted by: mtbkr55

I've been playing 3 years now, ready to purchase a nicer guitar. Been researching a Fender JA-90 Thinline Telecaster Jim Adkins Signature. On paper, it has everything I want: Telecaster thinline body, short scale, P90 pickups. Yet I can't locate a store anywhere to go and actually play one. My only option seems to be mail order and take my chances. Most of the chains offer 30 day returns, but you have to pay return shipping. Is that how most of you buy guitars now?

I've done three guitars this way. I got a nice deal on a now defunct site on a midline Fender acoustic. An Ibanez bass from Sweetwater, whom has a 50-odd point inspection for shipped gear. And a Gretsch Resonator from Chicago Music Exchange. All came well set up right out of the box. The mail order part is never an issue.

Guitars are how it 'feels' in your hands. If you've never played this model, that's really the only risk; will it feel good in your hands?

If you're in the U.S., I highly recommend Chicago Music Exchange. World class store. Actually, if you're ever in Chicago, it is a store dreams are made of....

Link to the model: Link >>

# 5
ninatity12
ninatity12
11/06/2018 2:13 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

I've done three guitars this way. I got a nice deal on a now defunct site on a midline Fender acoustic. An Ibanez bass from Sweetwater, whom has a 50-odd point inspection for shipped gear. And a Gretsch Resonator from Chicago Music Exchange. All came well set up right out of the box. The mail order part is never an issue.

Guitars are how it 'feels' in your hands. If you've never played this model, that's really the only risk; will it feel good in your hands?

If you're in the U.S., I highly recommend Chicago Music Exchange. World class store. Actually, if you're ever in Chicago, it is a store dreams are made of....

RMA returns are primarily unfastened (at sellers' expense), and inside the US many etailers offer exchange of thoughts returns free too -inside a time restrict caveat. but do read the first-class print on returns.

The trouble i have with unfastened 'exchange of thoughts' returns is that in conjunction with all of the different attitudes in 2018, a percentile of people do abuse it. So it's as much as the integrity and honesty in buying and selling of the etailer as to whether or not they then provide that again stock for resale as B inventory (e.g. as Thomann do) or indexed as a purchaser go back. The stores i exploit do.

# 6
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
11/15/2018 4:22 am

I've purchased four online in the last two years. Most recent a Mexican Deluxe Roadhouse Strat. Had to return one due to obvious shipping damage, no problems in the exchange. Two are solid body electrics, and two are semi hollow body electrics. After the normal set up stuff they are all great players now. Got my eyes on another semi hollow body next year.

# 7
jaquesc28
jaquesc28
11/15/2018 5:45 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

Link to the model:

: Telecaster thinline body, short scale, P90 pickups. Yet I can't locate a store anywhere to go and actually play one. My only option seems to be mail order and take my chances. Most of the chains offer 30 day returns,

# 8
Papa Rich
Papa Rich
11/30/2018 6:58 pm

I bought both my guitars online. A Fender Strat American Standard and a Taylor Mini GS as weel as an amp. These are very popular guitars and I had no problems trying them out at stores. I buy my stuff at Sweetwater online. They set up the guitars nicely, are very friendly and their return policy is excellant. I found going to Guitar Center type stores to be the opposite. I tried them twice and they just wanted to sell me the guitar in a box and not do any adjustments. Also, the sales pressure and lack of knowledge sucked. I say either order from Sweetwater or spend the extra money and go to a private luthier or small independant store.

# 9
timbury1
timbury1
12/24/2018 4:07 am

I had a great experience buying from Sweetwater. Bought a Fender Telecaster. Their return and exchange is fast and efficient. The first guitar has a minor issue and the replacement came very quick and was setup real nice. They post detailed pictures of the one you are buying.

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.