Finding the key of a song and the progression

satriowahyupratomo
satriowahyupratomo
09/03/2018 7:04 am

Hi, first I want to ask about how to find the key of a song by listening, is it always the first chord in the beginning of a song? If not, then how to determine the key of a song that begin with the chord other than the key of the song?

Second, after I find the key of the song, how to predict the next chord or the progression up until reff section which is usually have another set of chords.

My goals is to be able to find the chord instantly whenever I have a song in my mind.

Thank you :)

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/03/2018 2:26 pm

Hey & welcome to GT! What is your current skill level? Are you working through the Fundamentals courses?[br]

Originally Posted by: satriowahyupratomo[br]Hi, first I want to ask about how to find the key of a song by listening, is it always the first chord in the beginning of a song?[/quote][br]Sometimes, but not always. It's usually best to listen to the whole song to get an idea of the overall structure. Most songs use some predictable pattern or stereotypical chord progression. But the only way to know for sure is to listen to the whole thing![br]
Originally Posted by: satriowahyupratomoIf not, then how to determine the key of a song that begin with the chord other than the key of the song?[/quote][br]1. Listening to all the chords & the melody.

2. Write down all the notes in all the chords.

3. Figure out what scale all (or most) of the notes belong to.

That's the key signature.

You can figure out the melody by singing along with the vocal part or the guitar riffs or lines. Then find those notes on the guitar. This is called pitch matching. You match the notes you hear in the song to the ones you find on the guitar. Obviously, you will have to know your fretboard in order to name those notes! And you will have to know your basic major & minor scales to know which patterns the notes form to know what scale you are using.

The notes of a melody or riff will be all or mostly contained in one particular scale (major or minor). That's what key the song is in!

Another approach is to listen to the bass motion. This can be the bass line, or the lowest note in the chord as the chords change. Often as beginner guitarists we can figure out key signature by listening to the song one chord at a time & trying to play a low bass string note to find which one matches with the low chord note we hear.

This is also called pitch matching & it takes a lot or a little practice depending upon your skill level. People have different amounts of ability or musical backgrounds so this skill is easier for some & harder for others.

I explain this in depth in several different tutorials. First look at this series explaining how scales & chords are related.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=426.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=427

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=428

Next have a look at these tutorials on improvisation. They explain how to figure out the the key of a song, then play a melody or solo with it that fits the key signature & chord changes.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=876

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=483

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=491

[quote=satriowahyupratomo][br]Second, after I find the key of the song, how to predict the next chord or the progression up until reff section which is usually have another set of chords.
[br]By being familiar with a large number of stereotypical chord progressions. And you do that by practicing the guitar & figuring out a lot of songs. If you haven't already then I encourage you to start working through the Guitar Fundamentals Courses.

https://www.guitartricks.com/beginner.php

[quote=satriowahyupratomo][br]My goals is to be able to find the chord instantly whenever I have a song in my mind
[br]You have to develop your aural skills. You do that through ear training. Ear training is systematically understanding the sounds that happen in music. Again, you will develop those by practicing the guitar & figuring out a lot of songs.

Hope this helps. Ask more if necessary! Have fun. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
satriowahyupratomo
satriowahyupratomo
09/04/2018 10:55 am

Hi Christopher, I am at guitar fundamental 1, just starting the key lesson. And also thank you for your answer, I will go through those links and do more practice.

So I actually played guitar before, but then I kind of drifted away from it, now I feel like I want to take it seriously, and I always use the 6th and 5th string to find the key and chords, but learning music theory makes me think if there's a systematic approach within the concept of the music theory itself, well, it's good to know that I'm on the right track.

And again, thanks for your help, appreciate it.

Cheers :)

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/04/2018 2:42 pm
Originally Posted by: satriowahyupratomo

Hi Christopher, I am at guitar fundamental 1, just starting the key lesson. And also thank you for your answer, I will go through those links and do more practice.[/quote]

You're welcome! I'm glad you are already working on GF1. Lisa does a great job of teaching & showing the basic chord key groups.

With that in mind you might want to just focus on the GF courses before worrying too much about my improv tutorials.

[quote=satriowahyupratomo]... I always use the 6th and 5th string to find the key and chords, but learning music theory makes me think if there's a systematic approach within the concept of the music theory itself, well, it's good to know that I'm on the right track.

That's a good approach! The main reason I suggest continuing to work on GF1 is that you need to play various groups of chord progressions like I-IV-V so you are building a similar folder of chord progressions in your memory banks. You want to play things like this A-D-E progression with the idea in mind that it is a progression:

A (I chord)[br]D (IV chord)[br]A (I chord)[br]E (V chord)

And this group of chords is the exact same progression, but in C instead of A.

C (I chord)[br]F (IV chord)[br]C (I chord)[br]G (V chord)

Those are different key signatures. But eventually you start to realize that those are the same category of sounds anytime you encounter them. So, when you hear Buddy Holly playing It's So Easy, you'll know right away that he's playing an A, D and E major chord in different orders.

A-E-D-E[br]A-D-E-A

Or when you hear Twist & Shout or La Bamba, you'll recognize that they are both just variations on I-IV-V chord progressions in C major!

C-F-G

Every song is built from the basic materials of notes, scales & chords. These patterns repeat over and again in pop, rock, country, blues music. So, the trick is to get your mind & ear to memorize & understand what those patterns are.

Almost every blues you hear is built from a I-IV-V progression. After practicing playing & learning to identify these chord progressions, I can hear them immediately when I hear a new song.

Make sense?! :)

Hope this helps! Please ask more if necessary & best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
satriowahyupratomo
satriowahyupratomo
09/04/2018 3:50 pm

I just tried that pattern and progression things and it work like magic, I just have to find the key using pitch matching, then I found that most of the song is 1-4-5 progression in the beginning and then go to either 2, 3 or 6 for the beginning of the reff section and the whole song feels instantly playable with that progression thing going on in my mind.

Can I ask you one more question, so, if most of the songs are in major key like CAGED, what about minor key? Is it common in songs, do I have to really spend time on it now, because I still have a lot of course to do in GF 2 section, so if it's not really common to use, I'd rather spend my time on something else first.

Thank you :)

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/04/2018 6:51 pm
Originally Posted by: satriowahyupratomo

I just tried that pattern and progression things and it work like magic...[/quote][p]Good deal!

[quote=satriowahyupratomo]... if most of the songs are in major key like CAGED, what about minor key?

Good question! Minor keys work the same way. All 3 primary chords are minor

i - iv - v

Sometimes the V chord is major.

So, the good news is that the bass motion is the same! But of course minor keys have a different, sadder, more serious or somber sound. So it will take some getting used to hear them, but you can count on the bass motion of the chords to help you along.

It's not as common, but don't worry about spending extra time on it now. Keep working on the course. As you naturally encounter minor chords in the course, & in songs you learn, you will gradually get used to how they sound & where they fit.

Make sense?

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
satriowahyupratomo
satriowahyupratomo
09/05/2018 12:18 am

All right, I get it now, totally makes sense.

Thank you for your answers, it help me a lot!

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.