View post (Playing the Blues)

View thread

09/05/2000 2:30 am
Let me start by saying, "Halleluelia! Praise the Lord, another converted!". Congratulations on your conversion OldSkoolPunk02, I think you'll find the blues and hard rock to be an amazing combination of melody, rhythm, energy and feeling.

Tdogg, the 12 bar blues isn't tough, don't get stressed about it. It took me a bit to get it down too. But here it is. 12 bar blues is simply a chord progression that goes
I I I I IV IV I I V V I. err... something like that. Come to think of it I'm not sure I wrote that write. But you probably know the sound already, just having trouble recognizing the chords used. It's the I (root) IV (fourth) and V (fifth) of a scale. So in E it would be E, A, and B. E for four beats, A for two, E for two, then B for four (although there are many many variations of what you can do in the last four beats). I think I explained that right. For me, I can just hear the progression, and if I knwo the chords then the rest comes easily. You'll get that way too after hearing lots of blues.