What are your ALL TIME rock concert highlight?

Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
09/12/2020 10:43 am

Yeah Jimmie played a few gigs in Auckland at the time and he was excellent. Stevie and tbirds was my first concert at 15. Srv and Hendrix for mine are the 2 players who just seemed to be attached to the guitar like no one else. Back to the subject though.....pink Floyd at western springs....that was Amazing.

# 1
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
09/21/2020 12:48 am
Originally Posted by: faith83

Nice to meet another JD fan, moosehockey! He and Billy are my #1s. Saw Billy many times and never John -- I regret to say I was an idiot and wasn't paying attention -- a huge regret and my biggest musical mistake.

Hi Faith,

About a year ago, my wife and I went to see a John Denver tribute concert. The guy`s name was Ted Vigil. It was just him on the guitar and a violinist accompanying him but it was a nice show in a small venue ( 500 people) and he looks and sounds pretty close to JD. Tickets were maybe 25 or 30 bucks apiece. Check him out.

# 2
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
09/21/2020 12:56 am
Originally Posted by: moosehockey18

Nice to meet another JD fan, moosehockey! He and Billy are my #1s. Saw Billy many times and never John -- I regret to say I was an idiot and wasn't paying attention -- a huge regret and my biggest musical mistake.

Hi Faith,

About a year ago, my wife and I went to see a John Denver tribute concert. The guy`s name was Ted Vigil. It was just him on the guitar and a violinist accompanying him but it was a nice show in a small venue ( 500 people) and he looks and sounds pretty close to JD. Tickets were maybe 25 or 30 bucks apiece. Check him out.

Hi Moe, yeah, I'm familiar with Ted Vigil. Gives me the creepy crawlies... no one can replace JD. But I know Ted's show works for some people -- glad it did for you! I'd like to see the one where it's his former band playing live with him on video with his guitar. That sounds interesting.

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 3
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
09/21/2020 1:17 am

Hi Faith,

Hi Moe, yeah, I'm familiar with Ted Vigil. Gives me the creepy crawlies... no one can replace JD. But I know Ted's show works for some people -- glad it did for you! I'd like to see the one where it's his former band playing live with him on video with his guitar. That sounds interesting.

I wasn`t aware that his former band was touring. That could be good.

Of course, no one can replace the original, but what made Ted`s show enjoyable was that he wasn`t trying to impersonate JD. Rather, he interspersed his own recollections and feelings about JD`s music in between playing the songs. Helped keep it real.

# 4
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
09/21/2020 1:41 am

Bevan Gardiner did a really good JD tribute show in Auckland couple years back. He's well worth seeing if ever tours your way.

# 5
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
09/21/2020 1:47 am
Originally Posted by: jarnac.chambers

Bevan Gardiner did a really good JD tribute show in Auckland couple years back. He's well worth seeing if ever tours your way.

Interesting, thanks! Haven't heard of him. That there are so many JD tribute shows is good news -- it means he's missed.

# 6
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
09/21/2020 1:51 am

Hi Faith,

I wasn`t aware that his former band was touring. That could be good.

Of course, no one can replace the original, but what made Ted`s show enjoyable was that he wasn`t trying to impersonate JD. Rather, he interspersed his own recollections and feelings about JD`s music in between playing the songs. Helped keep it real.

Ah that makes sense, yes. I think the tribute show his band does is called the Rocky Mountain High Experience. It's his old Aspen band, IIRC, pre-Elvis band, but sadly without Mike Taylor. And an empty mic stand at center stage... which guts me. And John singing, projected in video overhead.

BTW, I love that there are tribute acts, even if I don't personally respond to them. Anything that keeps his legacy alive is good in my book. He was a phenomenal talent.

# 7
BC-Learner
BC-Learner
10/01/2020 7:05 pm

All-time favourites? No contest!

King Crimson in Glasgow 1972 and 1973. Robert Fripp, John Wetton, Bill Bruford, David Cross (and in '72, Jamie Muir).

Nothing I've heard before or since comes close. There are now good live recordings of that period available, and some of them are great, but nothing can convey the sheer power and majesty they achieved live. And not because of onstage gimmicks, either - they were just a musical revelation. Unforgettable and life-altering.

# 8
Dave Johnston
Dave Johnston
10/24/2020 8:57 pm

I saw ACDC in 1974 at a local school hall in Kingsgrove, Sydney Australia before they were famous. You could tell then that they were going to rock the planet.

Saw David Bowie in 1978 at the Sydney Showground, BB King in 1998 (I think) when he toured Australia, but the best shows were the Stones in 1995, 2000, 2005 and 2014.

# 9
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
10/28/2020 4:12 am

Got a few:

Bonnie Raitt with Lyle Lovett: she was phenomenal and Lyle opened for her then joined her for an encore that lasted quite a while. [br][br]

Joan Armatrading: her guitar playing is not widely recognized, but she can cover folk, blues, jazz, and rock. Energetic entertainer and funny as hell!

Jackson Browne: great player, knows how to engage the audience and it was a fun concert.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 10
manXcat
manXcat
10/29/2020 6:33 am

So many shows............ Hard to pick favorites but these are 4 that stick out in my mind.

1) Bruce Springsteen 1984. Saw him at the old Civic Arena in Pittsburgh where I grew up. He and his band played for 4 hours. Came out for several encores; the last one was Santa Clause is Coming to Town. The concert was in September !

2) John Denver early 1970`s. My first concert ! I came to identify with his music probably more than any other artist and He`s at least partially responsible for the fact that I live in the mountains today. My wife and I saw him 3 more times in the 80`s and 90`s.

3) America, 2013 at the Community Music Center in Wolfeboro NH. My wife and I saw them a few times during their heyday in the 70`s, but this concert cost 30 bucks a ticket and the facility held maybe 2000 people, so the show was a wonderfully intimate experience. They sounded great and played all their hits. It was like being in the 70`s again, except this time our grown daughters were with us !

4) Trans Siberian Orchestra ( multiple years ) It`s a Holiday concert but their production and stage show are second to none. Spellbinding !

Two concerts there which leave me in envy moosehockey18, in the most complimentary sense.

John Denver was at his zenith when I bought my first acoustic guitar, and upon reflection was influential in the decision. Pretty sure I wore out his "An Evening with John Denver" double album in 1975,...figuratively. I still have that original on vinyl, replete with scratches.

America. Would have loved to have had the opportunity to have seen them in their early '70s heyday. Alongside Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On", America featured prominently in my easy listening as each album released. Have all of their '70s albums.

# 11
robin79noordh
robin79noordh
10/29/2020 9:29 pm

Pearl Jam 2012 in Stockholm with my best mate who also loves them.

Stone Gossard Put his Guitar down to film the crowd with his phone saying -wow,this is like playing in the states-.

I saw then at Roskilde 2000 witch ended in tradegy for so many people (the band incl)

I was in a werry bad spot myself infront of the stage chipping for air.

So it was nice to c them again overcome and with sutch a positive vibe.

Mr.Bungle at the Astoria in London 1999 ich.

How a band that sounds like thay do can sound the same live as on the record is amazing.

A Perfect circle in Stockholm a couple of years ago.

We had a 2 day festival in Stockholm early 2000 called where the action is, thay did'nt sell to many tickets and went belly-up... but, I was there and saw Pixies, the pretenders , Neil Young and crazy horse, dinosaur Jr and Nick Cave and the bad seeds.

Nick Cave and the bad seeds I have seen many times over and thay are the best live act... in my book anyway.

great topic, there are some artists I never got to see like SRV, Allman brothers and B.B king.

but I got to see alot of my heroes live and Im really happy I did.

# 12
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
11/08/2020 11:39 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

So many shows............ Hard to pick favorites but these are 4 that stick out in my mind.

1) Bruce Springsteen 1984. Saw him at the old Civic Arena in Pittsburgh where I grew up. He and his band played for 4 hours. Came out for several encores; the last one was Santa Clause is Coming to Town. The concert was in September !

2) John Denver early 1970`s. My first concert ! I came to identify with his music probably more than any other artist and He`s at least partially responsible for the fact that I live in the mountains today. My wife and I saw him 3 more times in the 80`s and 90`s.

3) America, 2013 at the Community Music Center in Wolfeboro NH. My wife and I saw them a few times during their heyday in the 70`s, but this concert cost 30 bucks a ticket and the facility held maybe 2000 people, so the show was a wonderfully intimate experience. They sounded great and played all their hits. It was like being in the 70`s again, except this time our grown daughters were with us !

4) Trans Siberian Orchestra ( multiple years ) It`s a Holiday concert but their production and stage show are second to none. Spellbinding !

Two concerts there which leave me in envy moosehockey18, in the most complimentary sense.

John Denver was at his zenith when I bought my first acoustic guitar, and upon reflection was influential in the decision. Pretty sure I wore out his "An Evening with John Denver" double album in 1975,...figuratively. I still have that original on vinyl, replete with scratches.

America. Would have loved to have had the opportunity to have seen them in their early '70s heyday. Alongside Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On", America featured prominently in my easy listening as each album released. Have all of their '70s albums.

Ahhhh.....An Evening with John Denver. I`ve got that album too ! As for America, just learned to play Sandman. Awesome song for an acoustic.

Peace.

# 13
manXcat
manXcat
11/09/2020 1:28 am

"Sandman" is a great tune.

Is there a song written or sung by America I don't like? Thank you Dan Peek, Dewey Bunnell, and Gerry Beckley.

Even their first hit "A Horse With No Name", chording such simple chords a beginner can play it, but is neverthless a superb development exercise in itself of strum pattern, timing, emphasis and phrasing to render it familiarly pleasing to the ear. Also an ideal song to use for practising vocal accompaniment due to its simplicity, the workload permitting focus on vocals.

I love so many of their tunes its hard to pick a favourite, but if I had to, it's one of their lesser known songs from their "Hat Trick" album. "Rainbow Song". There's just something about it that catches my ear and stirs my emotion.

# 14
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/10/2020 9:03 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

Is there a song written or sung by America I don't like? Thank you Dan Peek, Dewey Bunnell, and Gerry Beckley.

Even their first hit "A Horse With No Name", chording such simple chords a beginner can play it, but is neverthless a superb development exercise in itself of strum pattern, timing, emphasis and phrasing to render it familiarly pleasing to the ear. Also an ideal song to use for practising vocal accompaniment due to its simplicity, the workload permitting focus on vocals.

An unlikable song by America? Never!!

Funny side note about Bunnell and Beckley about their songwriting: In an interview, they said that Beckley wrote the 'indoor' songs (Sister Golden Hair) and Bunnell wrote the 'outdoor' songs (Ventura Highway). Funny insight in to their own writing.

# 15
manXcat
manXcat
11/19/2020 1:56 am

Meant to respond to this earlier with some quite specific commentary and thoughts, but life got in the way over the past couple of days as it does.

Originally Posted by: JeffS65Even taking that point you made about simple chording like on Horse with No Name, mostly the same applies with Ventura Highway too. All and all, a simple song. Though that key single string melody that runs throughout is not as easy as it sounds. [/quote]

Totally concur, making them appealing ideal subjects for learning, self-assessment of skill development/technique IMV. I find Dylan's material the same in many respects. Seemingly simple, but technique and delivery not so much with much to learn from performing them. e.g. "Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door", "Mr. Tambourine Man" -although acoustic or electric, I prefer to play in the different key of The Byrds' version suspecting influence of McGuinn's jangling melody on his 12 string Rickenbacker has much to do with that. Which is not to demean Dylan's capo'd key longer version, rather for various production and airplay reasons, regardless its brevity The Byrds version ended up the more melodically pleasing [u]to my ear[/u] in the same way America's material does as pointed out below by you.

Originally Posted by: JeffS65The strength of those America songs is that uncanny ability to make a pleasing melody. At least to me, that's their strength. Even with simple chords, understanding the emotional content during the creation of a melody is an uncommon skill[/quote]

Wholeheartedly agree. The layering of rhythm and melody parts, predominantly acoustic although with electric bass and acompanying instruments in the studio, holds that magic for me.

[quote=JeffS65]Any time I put on Ventura Highway, it makes my wife very happy. As a beginner guitar player, she's made it one of her goal songs.

This is predominantly my reason for wanting to respond. Loving all of America's recorded material I've heard, " along with "Sister Golden Hair", "Ventura Highway" is a particular favourite which just makes me feel good whenever I hear it. Timeless, like the Mamas and the Papa's "California Dreamin'".

I wanted to share this with you her/you. There are several quite good tutes on the song including Shane's (easier), but I'm unashamedly biased in saying I don't think anyone nails it like Andy, or supplies as much accuracy & detail. I also find him an extraordinary communicator and his playing is flawless insofar as my rudimentary erudition with guitar can discern. In this demo he illustrates the three acoustic parts. The rhythm part is particularly well taught and executed I thought. Here he presents the lesson on all three. I've learnt and can play that rhythm part at present, but haven't learned all three parts yet as it wasn't triaged to make it onto my immediate more challenging songs objective list for this year.

Importantly, I know from your prior comments that your wife is petite with hands to match. Andy has smallish hands for a guitar player similar in size to mine challenged with thumb over muting and big stretches, so I know that techniques he prefers and uses to achieve what he does will always be a fit with me even if a skill 'stretch' too far at times. IDK what he does for a crust, but suspect he's a professional session player.

Another song I wanted to share thinking of your comments which I suspect your wife will enjoy (?), and enjoy learning/playing as much - I know I do, is from a much later period but holds that same can't get of its feelgood going around in one's head. "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer, sung by the adorably appealing innocent girlie voice of the spiritually beautiful Leigh Nash. Perfect for a single acoustic guitar, and surprisingly easy to play, but for a single trickyish (or at least I found it so) recurring quickish change in both verse and chorus to the Dm. Beautiful chords, all open chords, a not too difficult single line melody all of which sounds fabulous with a single acoustic guitar (player) which Leigh generally has accompanying her vocal performance. A superb acoustic tutorial for "Kiss Me" can be found here. I think it will quickly prove within your wife's capability with benefit of your guidance -assuming she likes it of course, always the most important motivation. My wife and I both love it, and it's just joy to play.

[quote=JeffS65]She's a great singer but wants us to sing and harmonize it too someday....I may have to learn to be a better singer!

Already have the mics, I've just bought a second mic stand for my wife. She's not an experienced singer, but she's a great gal up for anything and had plenty of informal practice singing along to The Beatles harmonies since 1962! Albeit willingly, she's been seconded to disguise my vocals at improptu neighbours and friends singalong afternoons/evenings.

# 16
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
11/22/2020 9:05 am

Good call cat. Andy does ,some incredibly accurate song lesssons and seems to hear the little intricacies that others miss. Some great stones lessons too. He's awesome.

# 17
manXcat
manXcat
11/22/2020 10:25 am

You said it all Tinpan. Definitely my favourite/go to song lesson tutor. If he chose to go in that direction, I'd happily pay an annual sub to his website if it would permit him to go full time devoting his energy and unique skills to his transcriptions and tutes.🤘🕊

# 18
secex71137
secex71137
01/18/2021 2:37 pm

It is the whole dream to see Bruce Springsteen! A few months ago I was writing something music concert report as my holiday best time. So I needed some help and decided to look for it on https://studymoose.com/music-concert-report and I read about Bruce Springsteen too. I would like to see him in a live concert so much!

# 19

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.