View post (What are your ALL TIME rock concert highlight?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
11/19/2020 1:56 am

Meant to respond to this earlier with some quite specific commentary and thoughts, but life got in the way over the past couple of days as it does.

Originally Posted by: JeffS65Even taking that point you made about simple chording like on Horse with No Name, mostly the same applies with Ventura Highway too. All and all, a simple song. Though that key single string melody that runs throughout is not as easy as it sounds. [/quote]

Totally concur, making them appealing ideal subjects for learning, self-assessment of skill development/technique IMV. I find Dylan's material the same in many respects. Seemingly simple, but technique and delivery not so much with much to learn from performing them. e.g. "Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door", "Mr. Tambourine Man" -although acoustic or electric, I prefer to play in the different key of The Byrds' version suspecting influence of McGuinn's jangling melody on his 12 string Rickenbacker has much to do with that. Which is not to demean Dylan's capo'd key longer version, rather for various production and airplay reasons, regardless its brevity The Byrds version ended up the more melodically pleasing [u]to my ear[/u] in the same way America's material does as pointed out below by you.

Originally Posted by: JeffS65The strength of those America songs is that uncanny ability to make a pleasing melody. At least to me, that's their strength. Even with simple chords, understanding the emotional content during the creation of a melody is an uncommon skill[/quote]

Wholeheartedly agree. The layering of rhythm and melody parts, predominantly acoustic although with electric bass and acompanying instruments in the studio, holds that magic for me.

[quote=JeffS65]Any time I put on Ventura Highway, it makes my wife very happy. As a beginner guitar player, she's made it one of her goal songs.

This is predominantly my reason for wanting to respond. Loving all of America's recorded material I've heard, " along with "Sister Golden Hair", "Ventura Highway" is a particular favourite which just makes me feel good whenever I hear it. Timeless, like the Mamas and the Papa's "California Dreamin'".

I wanted to share this with you her/you. There are several quite good tutes on the song including Shane's (easier), but I'm unashamedly biased in saying I don't think anyone nails it like Andy, or supplies as much accuracy & detail. I also find him an extraordinary communicator and his playing is flawless insofar as my rudimentary erudition with guitar can discern. In this demo he illustrates the three acoustic parts. The rhythm part is particularly well taught and executed I thought. Here he presents the lesson on all three. I've learnt and can play that rhythm part at present, but haven't learned all three parts yet as it wasn't triaged to make it onto my immediate more challenging songs objective list for this year.

Importantly, I know from your prior comments that your wife is petite with hands to match. Andy has smallish hands for a guitar player similar in size to mine challenged with thumb over muting and big stretches, so I know that techniques he prefers and uses to achieve what he does will always be a fit with me even if a skill 'stretch' too far at times. IDK what he does for a crust, but suspect he's a professional session player.

Another song I wanted to share thinking of your comments which I suspect your wife will enjoy (?), and enjoy learning/playing as much - I know I do, is from a much later period but holds that same can't get of its feelgood going around in one's head. "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer, sung by the adorably appealing innocent girlie voice of the spiritually beautiful Leigh Nash. Perfect for a single acoustic guitar, and surprisingly easy to play, but for a single trickyish (or at least I found it so) recurring quickish change in both verse and chorus to the Dm. Beautiful chords, all open chords, a not too difficult single line melody all of which sounds fabulous with a single acoustic guitar (player) which Leigh generally has accompanying her vocal performance. A superb acoustic tutorial for "Kiss Me" can be found here. I think it will quickly prove within your wife's capability with benefit of your guidance -assuming she likes it of course, always the most important motivation. My wife and I both love it, and it's just joy to play.

[quote=JeffS65]She's a great singer but wants us to sing and harmonize it too someday....I may have to learn to be a better singer!

Already have the mics, I've just bought a second mic stand for my wife. She's not an experienced singer, but she's a great gal up for anything and had plenty of informal practice singing along to The Beatles harmonies since 1962! Albeit willingly, she's been seconded to disguise my vocals at improptu neighbours and friends singalong afternoons/evenings.