View post (What are your ALL TIME rock concert highlight?)

View thread

faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
09/21/2020 1:51 am
Originally Posted by: moosehockey18
Originally Posted by: faith83
Originally Posted by: moosehockey18
Originally Posted by: faith83

Nice to meet another JD fan, moosehockey! He and Billy are my #1s. Saw Billy many times and never John -- I regret to say I was an idiot and wasn't paying attention -- a huge regret and my biggest musical mistake.

Hi Faith,

About a year ago, my wife and I went to see a John Denver tribute concert. The guy`s name was Ted Vigil. It was just him on the guitar and a violinist accompanying him but it was a nice show in a small venue ( 500 people) and he looks and sounds pretty close to JD. Tickets were maybe 25 or 30 bucks apiece. Check him out.

Hi Moe, yeah, I'm familiar with Ted Vigil. Gives me the creepy crawlies... no one can replace JD. But I know Ted's show works for some people -- glad it did for you! I'd like to see the one where it's his former band playing live with him on video with his guitar. That sounds interesting.

I wasn`t aware that his former band was touring. That could be good.

Of course, no one can replace the original, but what made Ted`s show enjoyable was that he wasn`t trying to impersonate JD. Rather, he interspersed his own recollections and feelings about JD`s music in between playing the songs. Helped keep it real.

Ah that makes sense, yes. I think the tribute show his band does is called the Rocky Mountain High Experience. It's his old Aspen band, IIRC, pre-Elvis band, but sadly without Mike Taylor. And an empty mic stand at center stage... which guts me. And John singing, projected in video overhead.

BTW, I love that there are tribute acts, even if I don't personally respond to them. Anything that keeps his legacy alive is good in my book. He was a phenomenal talent.

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."