Still '' Hard to Handle''.

stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
04/30/2018 2:08 am

Hi Mike, I went back to this after about a year and it is still difficult for me. I'm getting closer as far as the rhythym through first solo. And now i'm trying to get up to speed on the the outro solo. The big bends at the 17th give me trouble though and i'm not sure if it's me or my guitars.I have maybe one guitar that will make those notes ring at the 17th, but it is a single coil guitar and just does not sound right in the rest of the song. I seem to have most trouble with speed to keep up with songs like this. Do you have any recomendations on lessons to speed up my playing ecspecially ones like this that has lots of technical play. I just looked at ''Down on the Corner'' and it seems fairly easy, even though the difficulty level is the same. Just feeling a little ''flabergasted'' if ya' know what i mean. As always thanks for the great work, See Ya Mike.

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/30/2018 1:48 pm

Hey Steve! First off - as a general suggestion - make sure you're still practicing your scales - preferably with a metronome. A big part of this is drilling your picking and dexterity with single notes.

Beyond that, then it's always great to zoom in and isolated one or two bars of the lick you're having trouble with, slow it waaaay down, loop it, and drill it, making sure you're playing it slow enough that you can execute the lick correctly. Then, it's all about repetition to burn it all into your muscle memory and fingers -- speeding it up will be much easier after this process.

[br]It's tricky to get the upper frets to ring out since they're so narrow - you'll need to experiment and adjust the way your fingers fret the notes so that the notes ring out clearly. Beyond that, perhaps there's an issue with your guitar - maybe it needs a set up if it isn't fretting correctly?

Here's a tutorial to work on your speed and dexterity:

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1191

It has more of a shred focus - but the underlying approaches are sound.

Down On The Corner sounds like a great fit!! Dig in and let me know how it goes!!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
05/01/2018 2:03 am

Thanks Mike I'll try to get in some daily work on repetative speed dexterity work. That song just seems to do an abrupt change in attack when the solo kicks in and it kinda makes me stumble when it starts....later Mike Thanks Again!

# 3
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
05/01/2018 3:32 am

I just had learned all the parts to this over the weekend and after your response decided to slow it down to half speed and work on a while, i did discover a few things that i was having trouble with. I'll talk to you later about it Thanks Again Mike.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.