View post (Capo and solos)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/24/2018 7:10 pm
Originally Posted by: bamamusic16

But what I cant get straight in my head is if I learned a solo without the capo, does that change the fret locations I play the solo when I play it with the capo on?[/quote]

It depends. You need more data to know.

Originally Posted by: bamamusic16

example: If I play a solo with no capo and the solo starts on 6th fret, then want to solo over the same song with a capo on the 3rd fret. Do I move my starting solo note up 3 frets also?

[p]If you are changing the key of the song, then yes, you need to adjust your solo accordingly.

So, to be clear, let's say you are playing the same chord shapes, but in 2 different fretboard locations. In this case, you need to play the solo higher. You transpose the same number of frets as your capo moves.

On the other hand, let's say you are using a capo, but different chords shapes in order to stay in the same key. Then the solo location stays the same.

[quote=bamamusic16]

I think not because the "key" should be the same and the notes on a fretted string should be the same capo or not, but I not sure.

[p]Yes, the notes on the fretboard above the capo remain the same pitch with or without the capo. But, your scenario depends on whether or not you actually changed keys with your chords in the 2 different contexts (with & without capo).

Make sense?

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory