View post (Practicing on both Acoustic and Electric)

View thread

innocci
innocci
05/27/2023 2:51 am
#12 Originally Posted by: matonanjin2
Originally Posted by: Sleepers Hill

However, I started out on acoustic guitar and have been extremely comfortable with the acoustic.

Tim

Tim, this certainly won't help you and I'm not even sure how relevant it is. If it is, it is in an opposite way.

I decided to pick up guitar thanks to Santana. And if there was anytime that I listened to anything other than Santana music it was Clapton or SRV.

So when I started to try and learn it was, of course, with an electric. And. predictably, when my GAS set in it was all electric. And it was all the usual suspects. Strat, Les Paul, 335, etc. And I did say Santana so there are a couple nice PRS's in the stable. But no acoustics.

Before I found Guitar Tricks I was studying with a course and one of the sessions in that course was on Fingerstyle. I have no interest in Fingerstyle but was trying be diligent working the course, and reasoned that this would be part of a solid foundation so purchased an acoustic to complete that session. I didn't get a nice Martin or Tayor but a relatively nice Seagull and I did finish that session. I then put the Seagull in its case and it hasn't been opened since. Until now.

I meet with a couple friends every Wednesday night and we jam. One of the songs we played a month or so ago was Wild Horses by the Stones. I was working the course here with Mike Olekshy and for some reason thought about how it would sound with an acoustic. Out it came. And for the last couple months all I have wanted to pick up has been my acoustic. It is really wierd! One of my PRS guitars has always been what I reach for first.

A few days ago I went in my local guitar store and was looking at Martin guitars. I am really close on a 000 Standard. Of course there can be nothing wrong with having a nice acoustic in my guitar stand. But sheez, I just don't understand the sudden passion for acoustic.

I'm still largely listening to electric blues. My wife and I go to our local blues society blues concerts. But I just really like picking up the acoustic.

Just wierd!

I love SRV and Clapton as well. They are both known for their electric strat, but both are also excellent acoustic players. Check out Stevie Ray on MTV unplugged.