View post (Practicing on both Acoustic and Electric)

View thread

innocci
innocci
05/09/2023 5:34 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: Sleepers Hill

Dear Christopher, [br][br]Thanks for the swift reply. [br][br]That is extremely helpful, thank you! I will definitely make time for both. I also had one more question regarding my picking hand which in my case is my right hand. Ive found that when I am picking usually on an acoustic guitar I tend to rest the ball of my palm on the bridge of the guitar, but sometimes for faster picking my hand moves off from the bridge and my 'pinky' and 'ring' finger tend to anchor on the body of the guitar whilst I pick is this okay to do? Or should there be one set way to hold your picking hand? Or is it acceptable for the hand to move around as you play? I have particularly noticed that I tend to anchor more with my fingers when using my electric guitar and I anchor especially on both acoustic and electric when 'alternate picking'.[br][br]Thanks

Tim

Years ago, I decided I didn't want to be known as a blues player, rock player, country player, etc., I wanted to be known as a guitarist. I play all types of guitars and genres. It all depends on your goals. When you're just starting to learn guitar, a good instructor is going to start with the basics, how to hold the pick, where to place your palm while picking and strumming, and so forth. There are no set rules on where to place your palm while strumming, there  is no wrong or right way, as you become more comfortable you'll find what works for you.