View post (Practicing on both Acoustic and Electric)

View thread

jimcroisannt
jimcroisannt
03/05/2018 9:38 am
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

You're welcome for the reply!

Originally Posted by: Sleepers Hill

Ive found that when I am picking usually on an acoustic guitar I tend to rest the ball of my palm on the bridge of the guitar, but sometimes for faster picking my hand moves off from the bridge and my 'pinky' and 'ring' finger tend to anchor on the body of the guitar whilst I pick is this okay to do?

That's fine. There are slight to vast differences in how every individual works out the physical techique of playing. Most of this comes down to experimentation, trial & error, refinement as you practice. You have to find what works for your hands, on your instruments, doing the musical things that you desire doing.

Because there are several different ways to anchor your hand & fingers, the guiding principle is to work toward using technique that helps you achieve the playing you want. Work toward making your physical motions as smooth, natural & efficient as possible. Look for motions & poistions that hinder your ability to play & remove or avoid them.

Notice that in some fingerpicking or classical technique it's just not realistic (or even possible!) to rest your palm on the bridge or fingers on the pickguard.

So, you might find a certain piece of music, song, lick that requires you you to re-learn or adjust what is normally comfortable. And that's okay, too. :) It's just another challenge in the ongoing process of learning guitar!

I encourage beginners to just try to make music anyway they can get it to happen. After a student builds basic technique, then it's time to refine & start working toward efficient motion. Once they get to intermediate levels it becomes more important to zero in on what really works for that specific individual. And then it becomes a process of playing as much music with your acquired skill set as possible, learning to adjust for exceptions.

Or sometimes learning whole new techniques for different genres!

Hope that helps!

I'm just starting out too and these are some great tips -- thanks, ChristopherSchlegel