View post (Practicing on both Acoustic and Electric)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/24/2018 6:43 pm
Originally Posted by: Sleepers Hill

I was recently gifted a squier affinity stratocaster with an amplifier and I have been practicing playing on that too.[/quote][p]Congrats on the new guitar! :)[br][quote=Sleepers Hill]I just wanted to ask is it acceptable for me to practise on both acoustic and electric or should I just stick to one? Would practising on both hinder my playing in any way or is it a good thing to do?

[p]Good questions!

It's not going to harm or hinder your learning or playing skills. It can make a difference in the context of your goals. If you intend to play any music using an electric, then you should eventually start getting used to it. It's a different physical skill set & playing through an amp does require a different approach.

If you intend to mostly play acoustic, then it could be considered wasting time to work on electric. But any time you spend playing any guitar is going to help build your overall skill set.

My advice is to make time for both! :) The more you learn, the more options for music making you have available.

Hope that helps.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory