View post (Flat or Sharp)

View thread

chrispike306
chrispike306
02/12/2018 5:15 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: chrispike306

I then looked at wikipedia to check I had remembered correctly, but instead of Asharp, it was Bflat.

Any particular reason for that?

This tutorial covers natural & accidental notes & how the musical alphabet is organized on the guitar fretboard.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1136

The answer to your question is that A-sharp is B-flat. They are the same note, with 2 different names. The musical term for that is enharmonic.

The reason for 2 different possibles names for accidentals (sharps & flats) is one of perceptual convenience & conceptual clarity. Whether we call a note sharp or flat depends on the musical context of the song being played.

The default setting of naming a scale or key signature is to only use each letter once if possible. So, the key of G major has one sharp on F.

G - A - B - C - D - E - F#

Rather than:

G - A- B - C - D - E - Gb

That would be 2 letter Gs & potentially confusing in music notation. Once we get into music with 3, 4 or more sharps or flats things really get out of hand. So, when possible, we make all of the accidentals either sharp or flat.

Hope that helps!

It helps! I understand now. I thought there'd be a sensible common sense answer to it!

Thank you so much. Is there anything you don't know!