View post (Chord naming)

View thread

Meridirh
Full Access
Meridirh
Full Access
12/08/2017 9:15 pm

Hey everyone,

Hopefully, you're all having a great time! :) I've got a question that I can't answer myself. For my current studies and arrangements I am trying to name every chord that I assign.

However, naming these chords leads to the following question:

How do you seperate different chord voicings in chord names?

I know that basic triads are formed with three notes. Let's take the C major chord. Taking from the C major scale, we get the 1 - 3 - 5, translating into C - E - G which is fine. If I were to use these three notes I would get the following notes on the guitar

1.-------

2.-------

3.--0-----

4.--2-----

5.--3-----

6.-------

This would give me the basic triad, wouldn't it? Now, I can inverse these chords which leads to different base base notes and so on but my question now is:

The basic, iopen C Major chord that we are all taught is played like this:

C - E - G - C - E

I know that this chord still contains the three basic triad notes C-E-G but there are two Cs and two Es which are both in different octaves.

Does this basically change the name of the chord to somehow distinguish it from a basic triad? Is there something like a 3-ton-voicing and 4 or 5-tone-voicings? Does it actually matter if I have 10 notes played as long as it still contains the three basic three notes of the chord? (based on triads)

Thanks a lot !:)

Cheers,

Lukas

Limits are selfmade. Break beyond them!

www.meridirhproductions.com | Too old to learn multiple instruments? Let's put it to a test...

Guitar: Started January 2016

Styles/Genres I am currently studying:

- Classical Guitar

- Latin Style (Flamenco, Soleares)

- Folk Style (Pop, Celtic, Irish, Gypsi)

- (Fingerstyle) Blues

- (Fingerstyle) Jazz