Surfin Safari

stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
11/29/2017 6:07 am

Hey Mike, Do you find that sometimes its easier or quiker to learn a section by playing just the notes where there are so many double stops involved. And then as the familiarity or speed increases add the double where needed. Maybe it just exposes my skill level, but getting all those double stops in right off the jump is a little difficult for me sometimes, until i get closer to having it down. Also was wondering what you think about using some alternating picking in the solo section of that song...As always great lesson! Thanks Mike

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/30/2017 4:18 pm

Hi Steven - glad you're digging the lesson!

I recommend continuing to work on the double stops to get them down. Always make sure you are practicing the licks very slowly and correctly, and once you've found a nice slow tempo to execute the licks correctly, it's all about repetition - repetition - repetition at the slow tempo. This will loosen up your fingers and train your muscle memory to make it easier and easier to play the solo.

That said - if you find it difficult to play the double stops cleanly, and, for example, you need to perform the solo in front of an audience, then of course you can make adjustments and play the solo however you are able based on your current skill level. There's nothing wrong with that! Guitarists that cover other songs rarely play them note for note, adding in their own nuances and playing what comes naturally to them.

Also, the downstrokes in the solo are an expressive choice -- they add to the aggressiveness and high energy approach of the solo -- but of course, this is open to interpretation, and you can use alternate picking wherever you'd like!

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
11/30/2017 7:15 pm

I played that solo for hours until i went into a trance i think. The next mornin' the double stops did'nt seem as difficult. As far as the alternating play, it is just more fun to play that way sometimes, although i guess it changes the expressive feel of the song. Anyway i'll keep working on it. I think next up will be ''Folsum Prison Blues'' for me. It looks like fun also....Thanks my friend.

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/02/2017 5:30 pm

Excellent!

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.