View post (music theory)

View thread

jwatkins9
jwatkins9
12/01/2017 7:01 am
Originally Posted by: jarkko.eklund
Originally Posted by: jwatkins9

Hi

I'd like some guidance on how to learn music theory starting at a beginner level. How should I start and then progress. For example, is it learning scales and the notes in the scales or should I learn the notes that make up chords that I am playing ?? How did you start and then progress?

Thanks

I wish, I had been taught some music theory basics along with the guitar skills when I started playing. It would have made things easier afterwards. When teaching me only "this is a chord A, put fingers here, here and there..." It took me a long time to realise why it is chord "A". Which, of cause, is because of the notes in it. And it took even longer to find out what makes just those notes to form a chord "A". That will need some basic knowledge of scales and chord theory.

But now, after thirty some years, I've finally learned at least the basics of theory.

Thank you, your comments are helpful.

I have done the basics on GT and I think I am further along with playing than I am with my theory. I will check out the links that Christopher suggested. I'll come back with more quetions after I have gone through the links.