Dickey Betts Artiststudy

Aurea1
Full Access
Aurea1
Full Access
11/18/2017 1:36 am

Hi Dave

Thanks a lot for your wonderful Dickey Betts Artiststudy I love it.

The Hexatonic Harmonies and the Voicings are a treasure.

Would you like to go on (by and by) with Studies of Dickey Betts, Allman Br., Warren Haynes, Govt Mule, Derek Trucks and their specific Sliding too?

And something different Id be happy if you would make a Johnny Winter Study in the future.

Thanks again for your beautiful great Dickey Betts-lesson a lot of joy

Aurea

# 1
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/19/2017 10:15 pm

Hi Aurea,

Thanks for your comments on my 'Dickey Betts Artist Study' and glad you dig it! I'd love to do more artist studies on the artists you mentioned. Let me run it by the powers that be and see if Guitar Tricks can make it happen.

Best regards,

Dave Celentano

# 2
rrtebeau
Full Access
rrtebeau
Full Access
11/20/2017 10:05 pm

I think Dave is a good teacher also, but could not find any tabs for the scales He was teaching, like other lessons I have taken on Guitar Tricks. I have always liked to learn by using tabs, which is why I never bought lessons from places like Guitar Licks Library which seldom have tabs included..

# 3
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/21/2017 4:41 pm

I did explain and play through one position of the "E Hexatonic" scale in the Dickey Betts Artist Study. Although the "Scale Finder" in the Guitar Tricks Toolbox doesn't have "E Hexatonic" as I used in the Dickey Betts Artist Study, if you choose the "Mixolydian" scale in the key of 'E' from the GT Toolbox and leave out the '7th' degree (as I mentioned in the Dickey Betts lesson) you'll be playing "E Hexatonic."

Hope this helps!

-Dave

# 4
stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
11/23/2017 11:45 pm

Dave: Both you and Christopher Schlegel easily have become two of my favorite instructors............on GT's site or any where!! Shhhhh!! Don't tell Christopher because he'll just get all psyched about it and go out and buy yeat another nice Strat to add to his collection!!

But seriously...........I've said this before.......both you guys have such great enthusiasm and drive to conquer complete studies of a great artists' style or even a genre's style and display this into very manageable and concise study modules...........and really the only task for us is to make the time and open minded practice to get it all........not easy on either end but a great method!! Perhaps the best method!! And like I've written before........I believe you guys benefit by all this even as much if not more!!

The key is for us all to think and play on our toes........the theory and concepts described and demonstrated and carefully displayed out by all you guys plus GT is second to none.......but you and Christopher speak loudest at least as far as I'm concerned!! Dickie has spent a lifetime developing this great style of guitar playing and here you've captured his essence like nobody else!! Great work!! This and SRV makes me long to find our what's next..........to place the "extra" in extraordinary cool blues/rock guitar playing!! We all aspire to be great and this is definitely another great pathway to that goal!!

Jim C.

# 5
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/24/2017 7:25 pm

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your kind and encouraging words!! Glad to hear your response to my "Dickey Betts Artist Study." It's a lot of work and research, but we all can benefit from rolling up our sleeves and digging into a particular players songs and style wholeheartedly, rather than learning just song intros.

Best regards,

Dave

# 6
rrtebeau
Full Access
rrtebeau
Full Access
11/29/2017 9:42 pm
Originally Posted by: Dave Celentano

I did explain and play through one position of the "E Hexatonic" scale in the Dickey Betts Artist Study. Although the "Scale Finder" in the Guitar Tricks Toolbox doesn't have "E Hexatonic" as I used in the Dickey Betts Artist Study, if you choose the "Mixolydian" scale in the key of 'E' from the GT Toolbox and leave out the '7th' degree (as I mentioned in the Dickey Betts lesson) you'll be playing "E Hexatonic."

Hope this helps!

-Dave

# 7
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/29/2017 11:39 pm

There's a great little interview of Dickie Betts in the current (30 November) issue of Rolling Stone. It's short, informative and entertaining... "You really got to control her...she'll play with you and then draw blood..." )

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 8
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/30/2017 4:34 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for pointing us to the Dickey Betts article/interview. I'll check it out!

-Dave

# 9
rrtebeau
Full Access
rrtebeau
Full Access
12/06/2017 8:36 pm

I want to appologize to Dave about not finding the tabs to the Hexatonic Scale. Something must have gone wrong with my computer the day I tried to view the tabs. The tabs were not there!! I have since found all the tabs in all the lessons, including the Hexatonic Scale in Lesson 3.

# 10
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/07/2017 6:48 pm

No worries. Glad you found the tabs for the Dickey Betts lessons and info on the 'Hexatonic' scale.

-Dave

# 11
derekfattal
derekfattal
05/31/2021 7:47 pm

Hi Dave,

I am just going through the Dickey Betts study and just want to thank you for putting together such a great and illuminating set of lessons. I've loved Dickey's style for years and this really gave a good breakdown of his approach and musicality.

Wonderful stuff. Thanks very much!

# 12
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/01/2021 3:38 pm

Right on and thanks Derek! Dickey Betts and Duane Allman created some beautiful music together that we all can learn from. I had a blast putting the Betts lesson together for Guitar Tricks.

-Dave

Originally Posted by: derekfattal

Hi Dave,

I am just going through the Dickey Betts study and just want to thank you for putting together such a great and illuminating set of lessons. I've loved Dickey's style for years and this really gave a good breakdown of his approach and musicality.

Wonderful stuff. Thanks very much!

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.