Jason Isbell and the 400 unit

kevin067
kevin067
09/13/2017 2:57 am

I just stumbled onto this guy/band and can't stop listening to their latest album, "The Nashville Sound". Don't let the album name fool you, they're not exactly country. Not sure exactly that to call them except GOOD!

Its free to listen to on Amazon prime, if you have it.

I never planned or aspired to be a song writer but, if I did, I would hope to right stuff like this.

# 1
idris1000
idris1000
01/04/2018 10:42 pm

Jason Isbell is one of my absolute favourites and - whisper this quietly - but he is genuinly up there with may of the greats in my humble opinion. Stylistically I guess he cuts across rock, country, alt country, americana, Southern, folk but you're absoultely right its better to just call just damn good music.

I appreciate I'm a little late replying but came upon your post running a search on 'Jason Isbell'; anyway just in case if youv'e not your found some of his other work take a look at his 'South Eastern', 'Here we rest' and 'Something more than free' albums which are some of his more recent albums to much critical acclaim. Equally amazing is a solid and vast back catalogue of work with his old band The Driveby Truckers (amazing stuff, I particularly like The Dirty South and Decoration Day)

# 2
jimcroisannt
jimcroisannt
02/28/2018 10:54 am

I hadn't heard of them before but I started listening to them just now and I'm hooked. Thanks for the recommendation!

# 3
donsheilacole
donsheilacole
02/28/2018 2:08 pm

This group is also under the radar Larry Campbell & Teresa Williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWDoqeDk74o

# 4
jimcroisannt
jimcroisannt
03/01/2018 4:56 pm

Larry Campbell & Teresa Williams are new to me too, but I like what I'm hearing so far. Thanks!

# 5
kevin067
kevin067
06/19/2018 2:14 am

Since posting the original message I have purchased Southeastern and Something More Than Free.

My boat's audio system doesn't have a USB input (yet) and I was going make a "best of" CD out of these three. It wasn't easy to decide what to leave off to NOT require 2 CDs. My least favorite Isbell/400 song is more enjoyable to me than most of what I hear on FM.

I will have a look at Jim's suggestion and trade another suggestion for it. Justin Townes Earle. Son of Steve Earle and (I assume) named after Townes Van Zandt. Thats a pretty high standard to live up to! He sounds a little more country that Isbell but its also hard to put him an any box. Below is one of my favorites. Its apparentely an older video but you may recognize his guitar player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LLqFF89UtU

# 6
hickss5
hickss5
09/08/2018 1:46 am

I realize this post is a bit dated but I am new to the site and playing the guitar but Jason Isbell's music is the main reason I have decided at to learn to play. I have been exposed to so many song writers over the years and his style stands alone. if i could ask I noticed the beginner program divides out into blues, rock and country which avenue to you all suggest to follow to learn the Americana style of music? I became a fan after my wife played me Elephant and so many of his early songs. Children of Children, Decoration Day, Dress Blues and it goes on and on. When I first heard Vampires from the Nashville Sound Album it remminded of my mom and dad so much I cried every time. he has a gift.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.