Acoustic amp or no

Papa Rich
Papa Rich
08/21/2017 5:42 pm

So I have a Taylor GS Mini and I was thinking of buying the pickup that is made specifically for that guitar. I contacted one of the large online retailers that I use and asked if I can get a way with using my little Fender amp for electrics. It's a fine little amp and I only play in the house by my lonesome. I have read a lot of articles on the subject and most say you can't use an electric amp for acoustics. Has anyone tried this and was happy with the results? Again, I only need it for the house and mainly to bring up the volume of my finger picking.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/21/2017 9:53 pm
Originally Posted by: Papa Rich

So I have a Taylor GS Mini and I was thinking of buying the pickup that is made specifically for that guitar. I contacted one of the large online retailers that I use and asked if I can get a way with using my little Fender amp for electrics.

Which Fender amp do you have?

I think it's fine for playing at home. It's possible to do & it will sound decent. It will not sound as good as an amp specifically designed to amplify an acoustic guitar. Typically those have slightly different electronics & speakers that are fine tuned to reproduce the sparkling high end of a good acoustic guitar.

Electric guitar amps are typically a little less refined, with more mid range bark & rough around the edges. :)

But it's possible to use one. Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Papa Rich
Papa Rich
08/22/2017 12:55 pm

Thanks for answering Christopher. The amp I have is a Fender Mustang I V.2 20-watt 1x8" Modeling Combo Amp.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/22/2017 4:36 pm

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: Papa Rich

Thanks for answering Christopher. The amp I have is a Fender Mustang I V.2 20-watt 1x8" Modeling Combo Amp.

Oh, yeah! That's a decent amp for home playing & I'm sure there are some super clean settings for using an acoustic guitar.

It's never going to be as good as a purely acoustic guitar amplifier. But those newer Fenders have lots of great settings. I thought you might have an older Fender tube amp, which wouldn't be nearly as good for acoustic guitar. But you'll be fine with that Mustang.

Have fun! Play guitar!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.