View post (Open Position Scales)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/07/2017 3:43 pm
Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

Quick question: what's the most efficient way to practice scales? The way I do is to play all the scales, open position, for one minute on daily basis. And by all I mean: major, minor, pentatonic, pentatonic blues, and the patterns for major and minor.

[/quote]

It really depends on your musical goals. But you should attempt to make anything you practice integrated with the music you want to play. If you are still at a beginner level, then it might be necessary to just play scales in time with a metronome in order to buld the basic skill of playing single note melodies at a steady rhythm.

See this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=451

But in general, after you can do that sort of thing, then you should aim to work on practicing scales in time with backing tracks or songs that you want to play.

[quote=jasim.hd]

But the thing is: when I practice improvising, I don't find myself using the open position at all. So should I keep practicing them, or should I just play the patterns and move along the fretboard to play in different keys?

Using scales in open position is frequently an important skill for acoustic players. They need to get those patterns down to walk between chords. Or to play open string country or bluegrass licks! :)

What style of music do you want to play? If that style requires lots of open string scale patterns, then yes, practice them! If not, then don't worry about them as much as whatever it is you are aiming for.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory