"How To Become A Lyric Writing Machine" on Udemy

Matthias Hornstein
Matthias Hornstein
07/30/2017 6:28 am

Hi,

i'm thinking to buy the "How To Become A Lyric Writing Machine" course on Udemy.

Does anyone here have any experience or done that course already and knows if it is worth the money??

Thanks

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
07/31/2017 6:33 pm

Hi Matthias,

I have not heard of that particular course on Udemy but I have used the site for other programs. They're video courses, usually taken from universities, etc and repurposed for the web. Most of the time, they're fine, but they can be pricey. I say, wait for a sale, sometimes Udemy offers courses at a steep discount!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Matthias Hornstein
Matthias Hornstein
08/01/2017 8:00 am
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hi Matthias,

I have not heard of that particular course on Udemy but I have used the site for other programs. They're video courses, usually taken from universities, etc and repurposed for the web. Most of the time, they're fine, but they can be pricey. I say, wait for a sale, sometimes Udemy offers courses at a steep discount!

Well that's true...it is very pricey!

So they do give discounts once in a while?

# 3
winryember
winryember
09/12/2017 3:51 pm

Hi Matthias!

To be fair, I don't know anything about Udemy, but there's a great book called Song Maps by Simon Hawkins that completely changed everything about the way I write songs. It's a quick read and gets to the point, and gives you exercises to start working on your songwriting. I really recommend you check it out!

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/16/2017 6:27 pm

I always wonder about being taught lyric writing. Sure, it should be something you think or feel but in the end, you're chosing words to represent that. I find that this is something that couldn't truly be taught.

A few things I think of when I write lyrics:

1) Is it too literal? I really don't like super-literal lyrics. This is biggie for me. I don't much like the story like 'I got in my truck. I went to the store. I bought some ho-ho's. I stopped and got gas.' story telling. I find when it's too literal, it's like someone reading bullet points from a Power Point presentation.

2) Does it avoid cliche's? Seriously, never again should any human ever put a reference to 'wishing well' in a song over again. Ever. Also, though it can be done creatively, using the word 'like' as a comparison mechanism. 'Your eyes are like pools of oceans' and that kind of thing. You can use the 'like' tool at times but isn't usually terribly effective to me. To me at least. A quick make-up lyric; why can't the same thing be done such as, 'I swim in the pool of love that is the ocean of your eyes...' If you're gonna get corny, at least work at it! Oh,and never use the word 'forever' either, just don't.

3) Don't always make sense because sounding 'correct' in lyrics doesn't always matter. Def Leppard made a career of cool, but ultimately absent-of-meaning lyrics. Joe Elliot called it 'deep and meaningless'. The Bee Gees wrote in Stayin' Alive, 'We can try to understand the New York Times' effect on man'. No idea what that means but it sounds great.

4) Paint a picture. Yes, this may be a story telling like I reference in bullet 1 but, the picture is teling a story not every single detail of the story. A painting by a great artist doesn't require all detail, just details that tell the story. Golden Earring had a song called 'Radar Love'. The opening lyric is 'I've drivin' all night. My hand's wet on the wheel.' It's not literal but you get exactly what that lyric meant. Simon and Garfunkel, 'The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls.' You get the idea. Whatever it means, you get it but without being literal.

Just a few things I keep in mind when I write stuff. Ultimately it needs to come oout of me but it also needs to say something. It just may not be something exact or specific.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.