View post (Starting my first pedalboard)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/21/2017 11:33 am
Originally Posted by: Matthias HornsteinI'm a blues/jazz guitarist and I could need some help with my first pedal board.

I'm looking to start with:

[br]Overdrive[br]Tremolo[br]Delay[br]Boost[br]Wah wah

Any recommendations?

I encourage you to try before you buy. Watching gear demos on YT is a great place to start. And the pedals used by players that you admire can be a helpful lead to follow. But in the end you need to know that the pedals you use work for you. That they response & sound in a way that works for you.

There are a zillion great overdrives out there! But I stick with my Boss OD2 because I know how it will react, I can trust it wrks well with my choices in guitars, amps and with my pick attack & style.

I also use a multi-effects pedal, a Zoom. There are lots of options out there & they are sometimes helpful to have if you know you are going to use certain combinations or effects & you can get them all in a single unit!

Two other recommendations sometimes overlooked:

1. Get a reliable power supply. I use a small Voodoo Lab pedla power unit. Relying on batteries is asking for trouble.

2. Get or make a board with velco so all your pedals have a place to live. I've used a piece of plywood sprayed flat black, I've used homemade metal & wood cases. I eventually got a small Pedal Train. Cheap & reliable.

Here's my pedalboard.

https://www.facebook.com/ChristopherSchlegelMusic/photos/a.1067391986644917.1073741829.246467655404025/1544126905638087/?type=1&theater

Hope this helps! Have fun gear hunting!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory