Is there an E#?

kpjohn
Full Access
kpjohn
Full Access
04/28/2017 4:39 pm

On the Boston Hitch A Ride lesson it says to tune up to E#. I thought there was no such thing as E#. My tuner does not even have an E#. Do they really mean to tune up to F? What have I missed?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/28/2017 6:08 pm
Originally Posted by: kpjohn

On the Boston Hitch A Ride lesson it says to tune up to E#. I thought there was no such thing as E#. My tuner does not even have an E#. Do they really mean to tune up to F? What have I missed?

E# is the same pitch as F. There are certain musical contexts in which it makes more sense to call it E#. For example if there is already an F in the key signature; when you play in F# minor harmonic minor, the major 7th is E#. When you tune up a half-step the notes are:

E goes up to E#

A goes up to A#

D goes up to D#

G goes up to G#

B goes up to B#

E goes up to E#

This makes it easy to see that every string is still the same relative pitch to each other, but all are a half-step up.

If you you instead called it F, then you'd get this.

E goes up to F

A goes up to A#

D goes up to D#

G goes up to G#

B goes up to C

E goes up to F

Now if you carefully consider these notes, you will realize the F to A# is a 4th, as in standard tuning. But at first glance you see an F to A relationship that is typically a 3rd. Similarly for the rest of the strings, it looks confusing at first. Compare that to the E# listing & it's more immediately obvious that everything is just up 1/2 step.

At least after you know that E# is a legitimate note name. :)

But for practical purposes you can just call it F & use your tuner to tune to the pitch F. Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Joe105
Joe105
04/28/2017 6:16 pm

E# and F are what are known as enharmonic equivalents. They are the same note in an audible situation but written on sheet music they look different.

Some other enharmonic equivalents are E and Fb, B and Cb, B# and C.

It is often used in sheet music to simplify the written notation.

Joe

# 3
kpjohn
Full Access
kpjohn
Full Access
04/28/2017 7:24 pm

Thanks for the excellent explanations.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.