7th

03/13/2017 11:32 am

7th chords are made up of the root,third, fifth and 7th note of the scale. How does 13th chords work, I believe you just rotate around the scale again to grab the 13th note.

Is that right. Just a refreshing. Thx

# 1
maggior
maggior
03/13/2017 1:31 pm

Sounds right to me. The tricky thing with 7th chords is they use the dominant 7th...chords that use the major 7th are called major 7th chords. I think of the dominant 7th as the flatted major 7th.

13th chords are in the family of extended chords (9th, 11th, 13th). You form these by making a 7th chord (dominant 7th) and adding the extension...which like you said is coming wrapping around or going back to the beginning of the scale...up an octave. A 9th is a 2nd, which would make an 11th a 4th and a 13th a 6th.

Interesting that this topic would come up today since just yesterday I was reading up on what make a G2 chord vs. a G9 chord. To me it was confusing since the 9th is just an octave of the 2nd. The main difference is the G9 is based off a 7th G chord.

Things like "add 9" chords I think just do that...take the base chord and add a 9th note.

There may be some sublties I missed here...not pretending to be an expert, but this is what I read recently. Perhaps it's starting to stick :).

More reading....

According to wikipedia, it looks like extended chords are based on their previous extension....so 9th chords are based on 7th chords, 11th chords are based on 9th chords, and 13th chords are based on 11th chords.

So a 13th chord would have root, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, and 13th. The 11th and 9th can be left out.

You learn something new every day :).

# 2

03/13/2017 2:21 pm

Hey rich, how ya doin.

You are absolutely correct, and great answer.

One thing on theory , I really have to keep refreshing myself . It's not like I'm forgetting any of it, but there's times I have to question myself on certain topics.. it's like practicing scales, you know the scale well, bit we keep practicing it with a metronome ect.

And especially with theory you definitely want to stay ahead of it.

So it looks like your are living your dream by playing clubs and all that's so awesome rich.

I'm really happy 4 you. I don't see much photos of your Gibson, hanging on to the strat.

There great guitars, is it the song list that doesn't require a humbucker. ..

Besides improvisation I been really enjoying call and response playing.

One song I'm thinking of tackling is surfing with the alien, I'm going to ask my teacher to help me out with it.

Especially the faster runs...it definitely going to take alot of my time, if I decide to go for it. .peace. .

When you have time hit me up on messenger. ..

# 3
maggior
maggior
03/13/2017 2:50 pm

You are right that you have to refresh this stuff or you lose it. Your post prompted me to do some more reading and I learned more detail about this topic, so thanks for that :).

Yeah, still gigging, playing, and learning. I've been playing my PRS CE24 mostly...great sounding and comfortable guitar to play.

Glad to hear you are still enjoying playing and getting into new stuff. Surfing with the Alien...that would be awesome to learn. Some pretty wicked stuff in there!!

Lately I've been spicing up my playing with switching between major and minor pents for a solo. We also added Evil Ways to our setlist, so I'm experimenting with some Santata licks and Dorian mode. Doing that will open up my playing in general I think.

I'll hit you up on messanger sometime soon!

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/13/2017 3:07 pm
Originally Posted by: axe2

How does 13th chords work, I believe you just rotate around the scale again to grab the 13th note.

The 13th is the 6th an octave higher. But as Rich pointed out, extended dominant chords use specific sets of intervals. And then regardless of what the intervalic formula is, you still have to figure out how to actually play it on the guitar.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
maggior
maggior
03/13/2017 3:40 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegelAnd then regardless of what the intervalic formula is, you still have to figure out how to actually play it on the guitar.

Yeah, I'd imagine it's much easier to play these kind of crazy chords on a piano where you have 2 hands to make up the chord :).

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/13/2017 4:17 pm
Originally Posted by: maggior

Yeah, I'd imagine it's much easier to play these kind of crazy chords on a piano where you have 2 hands to make up the chord :).

Absolutely. :)[br][br]But, there also the practical matter of figuring out how to voice a chord so it will work with & not against the melody. That's why even pianists or full orchestras that have the ability to play all the intervals of a given chord often choose to leave some out. Too much clutters the sound & obscures the melodic line.

Old jazz guys sometimes refer to anything beyond 1, 3, 5 as "color tones". And of course a lot of jazz standards use the extended chord tones as the melody notes. So a lot of those guys use shell voicings to add just the right amount of "color" to the arrangement.

That's how I approach teaching those chords in that series of tutorials. Showing the most practical way to voice each chord with a root note on the bass strings & the "featured color tone" in the upper register.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7
david.wagle
david.wagle
03/17/2017 3:19 pm
Originally Posted by: maggior

One important thing to remember is that it isn't one instrument that is playing the harmony, it is the band that is doing this task.

So, if the bass player is taking care of the third you can ignore it in your choice of voicings. If the vocalist is singing the root, you can likewise ignore that. You may be left with only a few notes to cover in order for the chord indicated on the chart to be fully realized by the band.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.