View post (Tesla / Modern day cowboy / Opening lick)

View thread

ctredwin
Full Access
ctredwin
Full Access
03/25/2017 9:10 pm

So, next question on this song. (Sorry, I used to go out on Saturday nights, but it's history).

Anyway, in the guitar solo, that lightning fast all-picked run on the C-major scale.

According to the notation, this is mostly triplets, with a quintuplet thrown in as well. But I can't really process those timings. Overall, my thinking is that at the end of the run, you hit that bend on the 10th fret of the A string, and if you happen to get there a sixteenth early or late, it wouldn't really make a massive difference to how the song sounds, as long as you start the second part of the solo on the right beat of the next bar. Is that how advanced players see it, or can you really get to grips with these timings with enough practise?

Also, a technical question. When the notation marks 16th note triplets, does that mean you shoud play 3 notes in the space of counting 2 sixteenths? (Meaning that 16th note triplets are a step up in speed compared with straight 16th notes?)

Thanks in advance for advice. It's a bit strange to be asking questions about songs as advanced as this after only 4 years playing, but no complaints, obviously. I'm really happy with where I'm at with the Guitar Tricks song lessons.

Regards,

Chris