Theory of the Blues

stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
02/19/2017 3:34 am

I'm currently working in the second stage of blues fundamentals,'' SRV double stops'' and ''sound like a horn'' or somethin like that..Anyway my question is just how important is music theory in order to just be able to maybe get with others and jam. I can play those licks and lead sections, but sometimes it seems that playing along with Anders M up to speed with complete acccuracy is a bit of a stretch.I try not to progress forward more than two or three lessons at a time before until i feel i have nailed the first one. And have been working on ''Baby please don't go'', i'm at the turn around. I hate to mention this but at sixty years i have to wonder just how much theory is needed. Just building finger speed, working on accuracy and sounding musical to myself is a full plate, and keep in mind i still have a goal of jamming with others. Does this make sense to anyone?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/19/2017 3:58 pm

Glad to you hear you are working on the Blues course with Anders!

The short answer is that you only need as much theory as Anders gives you in the context of the course. It's important to know some theory. But your theory knowledge & learning should roughly keep pace with your ability to actually play the guitar & use those ideas. And a little theory goes a long way.

Anders does a great job of explaining a little theory; showing you an idea, but then really digging into how how much you can do with that one little idea. This is ideal teaching!

After all, what good is theory that you can't apply? At the end of the day the goal of learning any theory is to better to be able to physically manipulate the guitar, to make some music!

Originally Posted by: stevelankford313

I can play those licks and lead sections, but sometimes it seems that playing along with Anders M up to speed with complete acccuracy is a bit of a stretch.I try not to progress forward more than two or three lessons at a time before until i feel i have nailed the first one.

[/quote]

At this stage, you definitely need to practice & refine your technique more than worry about theory. So when you ask this:

[quote=stevelankford313]

Just building finger speed, working on accuracy and sounding musical to myself is a full plate, and keep in mind i still have a goal of jamming with others. Does this make sense to anyone?

That makes complete sense! And if you stick with the course, then Anders will show you all the theory you need to know along the way.

Ask more if necessary & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
02/21/2017 12:24 am

I appreciate the response on my post, i guess sometimes my progress seems to slow, and just want to make sure my focus is aimed correctly.Your response made complete sense, and like i said i appreciate it.... By the way i'm enjoying the "Bread and Butter Blues licks lessons".... You folks are the best!

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.