slide guitar

Dan
Dan
08/25/2000 2:46 am
I was just wondering if anyone plays slide
guitar here. I don't know how to play slide
guitar but I have a slide and I just play
around with it.So if you do play what type of slide do you use? I use a bronze one my dad made for me.
# 1
John O'Carroll
John O'Carroll
08/25/2000 4:42 am
I prefer glass also. In addition to placing the slide directly over the frets, muting of the strings not being sounded is critical to effective slide technique. I wear the slide on my middle finger, and use my index finger to mute the strings. You can wear the slide on any finger that feels comfortable for you, but you must be able to mute. I also mute the strings while fingerpicking with my picking hand. I don't use a pick for slide. This technique was used by Duane Allman (THE slide player, imho), and is how he achieved such a fluid, clean sound. The picking fingers rest on the strings to mute them; the required string is finger picked, and the finger is then replaced on the string at the end of the note's duration. This is a difficult technique to master but when done correctly really makes a slide solo sound great. The real trick to slide playing is to use open tunings (D G and E are most popular) . The open tunings bring the solo patterns much closer together; you don't have to move the slide as much as you would with standard tuning.
# 2
Luke
Luke
08/25/2000 2:13 pm
A glass slide is the best for me, not much weight, but excellent tone.

If you want to play slide guitar right, you have to know how to place a note correctly.

When you play with you're fingers, you place them inbetween the frets.

When you play with a slide you place it OVER the fret itself to place the actual note correctly.
When attempting the impossible, you achieve the best possible
# 3
Dan
Dan
08/25/2000 6:27 pm
thanks you guys this has taught me alot.I
just picked up the slide a week ago and this might make it a little easier to play around with it.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.