Chord progression doesn't fit any scale?

Jonnybgoode1990
Jonnybgoode1990
11/22/2016 8:58 pm

Hi all!

I'm hoping somebody here will be able l help me.I am struggling to find a scale that fits a chord progression I want to solo over.The chords are D5, F5, G5, G#5The notes in these chords are A, C, D D#, F, G, G#.

But as far as I can tell there are no scales that fit this, where do I go from here and what is the logic behind it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jonny

# 1
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
11/23/2016 6:29 am

Here is one approach.

Your notes C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab all belong to the key of C natural minor. Only note A don't fit into a key. Note A belongs to the key of C melodic minor, instead of Ab. So, using C minor (or it's relative major Eb) is a safe choice.

Diatonic triads in the key of C natural minor are

Cm - Ddim - Eb - Fm - Gm - Ab - Bb. Thus your chord progression would include chord functions ii°, iv, v, and VI

In the key of Eb major the functions would be ii, iii, IV and vii°

In that sence there isn't the the tonic chord at all, which makes me wonder is my logic completety wrong.

# 2
Jonnybgoode1990
Jonnybgoode1990
11/23/2016 12:16 pm

Thanks very much. That helps

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/23/2016 3:10 pm

Hey, Jonny! Welcome to GT.

Originally Posted by: Jonnybgoode1990

I am struggling to find a scale that fits a chord progression I want to solo over.The chords are D5, F5, G5, G#5The notes in these chords are A, C, D D#, F, G, G#.

But as far as I can tell there are no scales that fit this, where do I go from here and what is the logic behind it?

You've got the right idea to start by looking at all the notes in all the chords & try to form a scale. But sometimes you need more info!

1. What order are the chords in?

2. What rhythm? How long does each chord last?

3. What style of music is this?

How you decide to play a melody or solo over those chords depends on the answers to those question.

But remember, you don't have to use all the notes in all the chords all the time. You don't have to perfectly fit a scale over every progression. And sometimes it's depends on which chord is happening at the time. So as long as you play over the D5 & F5 for example, any D minor or minor pentatonic scale pattern works. It's not until the other chords happen that other possibilities are opened up or closed off.

In general it seems like you've got a hard rock or metal type progression with the D as the root note. So the first thing I'd recommend is the D minor pentatonic scale with a bluesy flat 5. (technically D hexatonic minor :) )

D-F-G-Ab-A-C

Basically play fast pentatonic blues licks!

If you are going for a darker, more sinister metal sound, then throw in the flat 2nd for a locrian mode type sound.

D-Eb-F-G-Ab-C

If you are going a completely different direction, say a modern jazzy modal sound, then you might want to alternate between several modes depending on which chord is happening at the time.

For example, you could start with the D pentatonic minor with the flat five, then when the G5 happens switch to the G phyrgian mode briefly.

And as Jarkko points out you've got a lot of the C melodic minor scale (minus the B natural)! Starting on the note D that would be the D dorian flat 2 (missing the 6th note B).

D-Eb-F-G-A-C

http://www.jazzguitar.be/melodic_minor_modes.html

Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary. Best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
11/23/2016 4:21 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Hey, Jonny! Welcome to GT.

Originally Posted by: Jonnybgoode1990

I am struggling to find a scale that fits a chord progression I want to solo over.The chords are D5, F5, G5, G#5The notes in these chords are A, C, D D#, F, G, G#.

You've got the right idea to start by looking at all the notes in all the chords & try to form a scale. But sometimes you need more info!

1. What order are the chords in?

2. What rhythm? How long does each chord last?

3. What style of music is this?

How you decide to play a melody or solo over those chords depends on the answers to those question.

But remember, you don't have to use all the notes in all the chords all the time. You don't have to perfectly fit a scale over every progression. And sometimes it's depends on which chord is happening at the time. So as long as you play over the D5 & F5 for example, any D minor or minor pentatonic scale pattern works. It's not until the other chords happen that other possibilities are opened up or closed off.

In general it seems like you've got a hard rock or metal type progression with the D as the root note. So the first thing I'd recommend is the D minor pentatonic scale with a bluesy flat 5. (technically D hexatonic minor :) )

D-F-G-Ab-A-C

Basically play fast pentatonic blues licks!

If you are going for a darker, more sinister metal sound, then throw in the flat 2nd for a locrian mode type sound.

D-Eb-F-G-Ab-C

If you are going a completely different direction, say a modern jazzy modal sound, then you might want to alternate between several modes depending on which chord is happening at the time.

For example, you could start with the D pentatonic minor with the flat five, then when the G5 happens switch to the G phyrgian mode briefly.

And as Jarkko points out you've got a lot of the C melodic minor scale (minus the B natural)! Starting on the note D that would be the D dorian flat 2 (missing the 6th note B).

D-Eb-F-G-A-C

http://www.jazzguitar.be/melodic_minor_modes.html

Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary. Best of success with it!

Brilliant stuff Christopher, as always!

# 5
Jonnybgoode1990
Jonnybgoode1990
11/23/2016 4:34 pm

Thanks very much christopher! That really helps.

To answer your questions.....

The chords are played D5 F5 G5 G#5,

Each chord is played for the same amount of time and it is a hard rock/metal piece.

Thanks again

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.