what guitar should i buy?

Xr6
Xr6
09/19/2016 12:05 am

i play a mix of everything from rock, pop, country and am after another electric guitar.
looking at the price range of $1500-$2000

any advice on what to get? (i currently have a USA fender tele for my electric)
and should i buy new or 2nd hand.... am looking at some PRS, and Gibson

i am in Australia to if that makes a difference
thanks
# 1
Xr6
Xr6
09/19/2016 12:12 am

and i also have found a Gibson Les Paul Futura 2014 with min E-Tune
any one tell me much about them?

its $1500.00 aus 2nd hand in very good condition
# 2
luckotdraw
luckotdraw
09/20/2016 9:40 am

Purists I think are not fans of mini-tune, it takes away an important skill one should learn. As for which guitar, that's a loaded question. What one person likes someone else may not. I'd find and play which ever is most comfortable for you. I started on electric and then can to the conclusion that the music I most enjoyed was acoustic based. Not only that, but for me playing acoustic without the option of distorting the sounds, provides no room for sloppy playing. And when I do venture back to electric it will be a little easier, as for me it's a little tougher to play acoustic compared to electric.

In saying all that, it's what choice works for me, not the same path everyone takes. Choose what your comfortable with, cause if you love the guitar you will be more inclined to pick it up.
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/20/2016 12:24 pm
$2K AUS ($1500 US) will get you a great guitar. If you're looking at new, the higher end options like a Gibson Les Paul Standard/Traditional are a bit out of your range, and the same for the classic PRS McCarty types. But, you can get into to Les Paul Studios, which are minus a handful of frills but pretty nice, or something like a PRS Mira. All very nice.

Or you could work the used market. My first guitar was a used Gibson Les Paul (in 1982...and what an idiot I was to have gotten rid of it back in the late 80's!). Important things is, you do get more guitar in the used market than new. Maybe not as shiney or may have a few roadworn blemishes...mine had many and a huge buckle rash on the back. And consider people will now pay for a new guitar that looks used, just get used, ya know. Used will get you more.

It's hard to say what brand/style will work for you. It looks like you're looking at a humbucker style so many options there. And really, it doesn't matter the brand. If you can, go play them. I've play Les Paul's that I've hated. I cannot enjoy playing a Les Paul Custom. Just can't. Get me a Les Paul with a 60's style slim taper neck and I can play that baby all day long.

That's kind of the key too. Know what 'feels good' to you. I know I don't have the longest of fingers. Average-ish, so I don't much enjoy thick necks (though that's a lie to, my ES333 has a 50's round neck and I love playing it so there's that). Go play them and have an idea what you like so the salesperson can help guide you. Know what kind of pick-ups you want. Do you want hotter pick-ups or do you want more mellow pick-ups like Gibson 57's.

Know what is comfy for you and the ultimate goal of your sound and that will do much to guide you to your near ideal guitar.
# 4
maggior
maggior
09/20/2016 1:52 pm

Something to keep in mind with PRS is some of their models (e.g. Custom 24) have 24 frets rather than the traditional 22. It felt weird to me. As Jeff pointed out, there are neck options too on LPs...50's style (also called "baseball bat") chunky necks or the 60's slim taper neck.

You have to try them out and see what you think. Personally, I like the variety. I have a strat which has a slim neck, an lp with a 60's slim taper neck, and an lp with a 50's style neck. Sometimes I perfer the feel of one over the other. Some songs I can play better on a thick neck than a thin neck.

With the way prices are rising, I would serisouly consider used...you'll get much more bang for your buck. As long as the guitar wasn't abused, it should be fine. If I ever look to buy a new guitar, I will scour the used market. I've learned the hard way that buying new doesn't always equate to "problem free".
# 5
Xr6
Xr6
09/20/2016 9:59 pm
thanks for the help

i have found some 2nd hand PRS, les paul and Music Man
i will try them out, i just live 2 hours away from the big city so have to make a trip out of it
# 6
Xr6
Xr6
09/20/2016 10:03 pm

i am also trying out a Bunker AT200

dont know if anyone has had one before?
hollow body electric cant find much info on them, anyone tell me anything about them?
# 7
bookas58
bookas58
09/21/2016 1:56 am

In that price range in oz , for semi hollows brand new try Tolvanen guitars . I have a Tolvanen Apostle , sort of Tele thinline shape with TV Jones magnatron pickups , also comes with Brierley's or Timo's own HB's , Also check out the Maton Ms T- BYRD . Beware of Cashies , they want top dollar and their gear has a somewhat suspect background . Aussie Guitar Gear Heads has a buy and sell page on their site , free to join . Most of those guys are pro's so the axe's have been well maintained . Where in oz are you?
# 8
Xr6
Xr6
09/22/2016 12:13 am

South east QLD mate, really like the maton MS500 looking at that now
# 9
bookas58
bookas58
09/22/2016 8:57 am

Ok Xr 6 , I'm in Brisbane , Fortitude Valley to be precise . I happen to have a Maton MS 500 , which I use for slide . Also have an MS 2000 DLX SD which comes standard with seymour duncan jb pickups , both are good guitars . Rock solid . Check out Vivace Music website and also Arties Music . Arties is at Aspley and Vivace is on the southside , both have a good range . I was checking out the t-byrd , but the other half stood on it . Forgot to say I also have a Maton acoustic . Her last words were " Are you starting a Maton dealership ? "
# 10
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/23/2016 12:25 am

Consider sound/tone...both in the guitars you have and the guitars you are looking at. If you want a stable of instruments to play a wide mix of music I suggest you look for a guitar that differs in sound and tone from those you already have.

I have three guitars; an acoustic dreadnaught, an electric semi-hollow body and an 12-string AE. Besides having the normal lust for fine looking/sounding guitars I bought the second and third ones specifically because of their difference in sound and their traditional use in different genres.

Many (most?) guitarists say they can hear the difference between brands, let alone types of guitars. Identify the sound you want to add to your collection and then look at guitars that deliver that.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 11
Xr6
Xr6
09/23/2016 12:34 am

thanks for advice
ended up doing a straight swap - my old and in need of love US tele, for the MS500 in really good shape.

still will be looking for some cheaper guitars to mess around with- but i like the maton, for anyone else who may be looking i find it great with clean tone, the neck is nice, and feels like a nice solid guitar.
distortion is not so great on it but it is a sweet guitar.

@bookas58- the little switch on the guitar- trying to work out what it does... does it split the a pickup? doesnt seem to change alot in tone?
cheers
# 12
bookas58
bookas58
09/23/2016 6:16 am

Xr6 congrats on your choice , That switch splits the bridge humbucker , you want disortion , try overdriving the frequencies wih a graphic equalizer . Works for me with slide , if one range sounds a bit muddy , just back it off a bit .
# 13
macRocker
Full Access
macRocker
Full Access
09/29/2016 11:12 pm

If you are looking for an acoustic either Martin or high end Takamine. If you are looking for electric you already have a Fender Tele, I would take a look at Michael Kelly guitars they are well made and come with some nice pu's from their mod shop. They are inexpensive as well. I have several guitars 3 are high end Takamine, Martin, and Custom Fender. The others are Michael Kelly ebony with Lindy Fralin pu's, and my wife brought me a Keith Urban Gibson copy which I used to learn how to level frets, set up, etc. The Keith Urban now plays like butter.
# 14
macko20003
macko20003
10/02/2016 8:25 pm

All of them if you can afford it! If i could afford it i would have an american elite stratocaster, a prs ce 24, and the epi tony iommi special. I would also buy the grandmeister 40 deluxe & prs archon. Followed by a buttload of pedals. Sadly, nobody sells skills....
# 15
johnv31552
johnv31552
10/22/2016 8:34 pm
If you have that kind of money to spend, then I would recommend a Gibson Les Paul if you are going electric, or on the acoustic side, you can't go wrong with a Martin or a Taylor!! I own a Yamaha because I don't have that kind of money to spend but it's an excellent guitar for a beginner!!
# 16
Scalesup
Scalesup
10/24/2016 6:46 pm

Why not consider an HSS Strat? I've listened to hundreds of comparos and it reinforces I made the right decision by going with that model.

The HSS adds a new layer of options for you epecially if you play lead parts. I'm enjoying the sound and to my ears, it's a better sounding guitar than the LP.

# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.