how important is speed??.....really

furryz
furryz
07/19/2002 9:52 pm
ok...i posted a new trick . it's called rolling (53 notes per second) in the jazz section. check it out
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
07/19/2002 11:23 pm
Ok, this sounds a lot like when I speed myself up. Need more proof. I'm sorry, but I'm sure that this is a prank.
# 2
Gulder
Gulder
07/20/2002 10:12 am
Lalimace, it's not because your ego is endangered you should pick on this guy :) lets give him a fair chance. I don't it's speeded up tho' cause it would change the pitch, but then again that can be altered too. Besides, if he speeded up the whole thing he surely played the thing slower and CLEAN. When you listen to the samples, even when slowed down it sounds very unclean (no offence ofcourse).

Maybe you should practise with a metronome ? Ehehe :)

Edit : To post something on topic : Yes, speed is important. I think it's the most important factor of todays guitarplaying. Lets face it, without speed Shawn Lane, Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert, Steve vai, ... would never have become famous. But since speed comes with practise you should also respect the melodic/rythm part of music as the theory. It's tempting to practise on speed only and I don't think it can hurt, but you will find yourself stuck in a rut much faster playing shred stuff only. Don't let anybody ever tell you shred is emotionles ! When a pianist plays helluva fast he's a virtuoso. When a violinplayer/ster plays helluva fast (s)he's a virtuoso. No matter how ****ty their speedy stuff sounds. When a guitarist on the other hand plays helluva fast he's just another guy who wants attention and plays without emotion. People who claim that are just plain dumb imho...

[Edited by Gulder on 07-20-2002 at 05:18 AM]
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
07/20/2002 10:19 am
huh huh, sorry, but there are a bunch of devices that can speed things up without altering the pitch (Acid is one of them) but it alters the overall sound, and it starts sounding like this trick...
I'm not endangered or anything, playing fast is not a goal nor is it what I base my playing upon. I just wish Furryz could really explain his technique, because right now, it still sounds like an hoax.
# 4
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
07/20/2002 10:37 am
And here's a proof: http://www.guitartricks.com/2000/trick.php?trick_id=4787

Les Paul did it, so why wouldn't we?

# 5
Gulder
Gulder
07/20/2002 12:06 pm
See what I mean ? You prove exactly what I ment. Your record is played slowly first. Very clean, no sweat. Now, when you speed it up it still sounds clean ! Listen to that Furryz song. Is it clean ? Nope. The first time he played it, he played it clean and slow. But when he tries
to play it fast, it's played very very sloppy. Also, the fast part is with legato, the slow part isn't. If it is a hoax, why do such effort in recording it first with all picking, then recording it with legato and then speeding it up ? There are too many little things that make it almost impossible to be fake.
Ofcourse I wont say there isn't a chance for a hoax, but it's very undoubtly imho.
# 6
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
07/20/2002 12:29 pm
I dunno, try speeding down the 3rd one. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it does sound sloppy.
# 7
Gulder
Gulder
07/20/2002 1:21 pm
doesn't sound sloppy to me. Only blurry, almost impossible to distinguish your notes.
I can distinguish the notes (sort of, when not played sloppy) with furryz.

Anyway, this is ridiculous :) I wonder why I spend all this time is only 1 second of music.

Maybe this is just the new way of playing. When Yngwie made is debut alot of people thought the records were speeded up too. Well, maybe this is the same thing ?

[Edited by Gulder on 07-20-2002 at 08:24 AM]
# 8
furryz
furryz
07/20/2002 7:30 pm
i would just like to say that i don't understand why people would think i would speed it up. gulder made a very good point when he said that the fast part sounds sloppy. it is impossible to sqeeze all those notes in one second and not have them blur together, isn't it. the human ear can only pick up sounds so quickly, so physically, it is impossible for notes to be played that quickly and not be blurred and sloppy. that should be proof enough that i didn't speed it up. also...when you speed something up even if the pitch stayes the same, the pick attack is changed. it is very obvious, because the pick attck is barely detectable. you can hear the pick attack on my sound file. i pick the first note on every string and you can hear the attack if you listen closely. that would not be the case if i had speeded it up.

plus, why would i post a hoax on this site. how would it help me. maybe lami has a low sense of self esteem and he would do something like that just to make himself feel better but i have noting to gain by it. i don't care if you believe me, i have nothing to prove to you. i posted it to try and show a new technique, not to prove myself as a guitarist.
# 9
furryz
furryz
07/20/2002 7:34 pm
i just listened to that trick that shows how to speed up the sound with acid. listen to his and then listen to mine, you can definitely hear the difference in pick attack. first of all, his notes are all picked, which would be impossible, and second of all, his pick attacks are much quicker and more clicky. that's just more proof that i didn't speed mine up.
# 10
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
07/21/2002 11:19 am
Originally posted by furryz
i don't care if you believe me, i have nothing to prove to you. i posted it to try and show a new technique, not to prove myself as a guitarist.

Actually, you didn't prove anything, since I canno't understand what you are doing. Try making a video or something.

There's too much thing you put in your trick (like the explanation on why the 2 soundclips sound different) to make it sound genuine.
# 11
kristian
kristian
07/22/2002 1:59 am
.... yup, maybe esteem issues are at hand here. guitartricks.com's celebrated speed guitarist is outgunned by a 16 year old.... hey guys we are all brothers in this site. lets just try to help each other ok. i think that is why this site was put up in the first place. a little criticism helps of course but instead of closing your mind on the possibilities of pure talent, lets just help the guy put up a clearer sound file. everyone is skeptical..... and besides, everyone in this site has their own talent to boast. may it be speed, tapping, arpeggio playing, etc.
# 12
furryz
furryz
07/22/2002 8:54 pm
hey, i have a question for you guys. i'm still new to the site so i don't know these things. i was editing my trick to post a different sound file, and i chose to hide the trick in the pull down menu at the bottom of the page. how can i unhide it so it can be seen. i can't get back into it to change it, so i dont know what to do
# 13
snimbkar
snimbkar
07/23/2002 4:06 pm
We'll Ive missed most of the threads here but I'd like to address the subject 'How important is speed?'

I like to think of it in terms of driving on the highway.

There are times when you are cruising along and a big truck blocks your path, so you floor the accelerator and pass him, then come back toa reasonable speed. But If you drove on the road with your pedal to the floor constantly you would :

1. Get arrested
2. Kill yourself
3. Kill someone else
4. Lose control of your vehicle.

The same should aplly to playing fast , use it when you need it , to accomplish something. If you overuse it , you'll get into trouble
# 14
Djentizm
Djentizm
07/29/2002 8:10 pm
speed is somewhat important, but i personally hate it when a guitarist is playing a solo and just shreds all over the fretboard. to me that shows the player cant think of anything and has no songwriting abilities at all. playing a solo in a song should be melodic, something you can hum. playing a solo by yourself is more appriate to shred. but it IS important to learn to play as fast as possible, so you are not limited at all!!:)
i am the shredder
# 15
snimbkar
snimbkar
07/29/2002 9:34 pm
Originally posted by Djentizm
speed is somewhat important, but i personally hate it when a guitarist is playing a solo and just shreds all over the fretboard. to me that shows the player cant think of anything and has no songwriting abilities at all. playing a solo in a song should be melodic, something you can hum. playing a solo by yourself is more appriate to shred. but it IS important to learn to play as fast as possible, so you are not limited at all!!:)

Even Marty Friedman said that speed is a good starting point. And many types of music require spped to be effective, can you imagine a Testament or Pantera song with a slow "melodic" solo? It wouldn't really work. But I can only take so much Yngwie. A guy like Vinnie Moore is just as fast but uses speed tastefully.

# 16
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
08/02/2002 11:40 pm
I can play about 100 notes per second with my electric drill.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.