View post (Prince)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
04/23/2016 4:01 pm
It's funny, back in the early 80's I saw Prince do stuff from Lovesexy and thought that it was kitchy but not mainstream enough (in a way, I still think that). Then 1999 came and you could really hear the songcraft. I appreciated it and tapped my foot to it but I was still 'too metal' so it wasn't my bag.

Christmas Eve, I'm about to head home to Minneapolis from college and my dad calls right before I'm about to leave and asks me if I wanted to go to a concert that night with my sister, cousin and my stepbrother.

You see where this is going.....I casually say, "Sure, why not."

It was of course, Prince. Christmas Eve. The first date of the Purple Rain tour. Otherwise known as a once in a lifetime, iconic performance.

It is still to this day the best concert I've seen and I have seen many great concerts by many great artists. Nothing like this. I've to date never seen a band that could just smoke like that. Obviously Prince was the master but everyone was just tip-top and on their game.

Never forget. After that day, I became (of course) a fan and particularly an admirer of Prince's musical skill. Yes, like has been posted many times on Facebook, the 'My Guitar Gently Weeps' solo from the R&R HOF is awesome but really, it is brilliant in the ability to know where the song changes and the mode with which to go to to wring out the most in how that section of a solo should feel.

So, there's my memory.....